What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

River Bumps

petehowell

Well Known Member
Was flying over the Upper Mississippi this morning and got a good look at something I had seen before. I called them river bumps. (Circled in red)

Here is the pic. They are too uniform not to be man made. Does anyone know their purpose? I'm thinking they help define the barge channel.

ACtC-3dloX65URF9Zx8mqciKP4nuUUVfBmLmgM4vdgIrcSuwwnVnqpGlkAKpfM7sGiTn0XPVSydjXOE0362gMN1Hu8ozQiyrHuJVMJ9vAiS5T8kadt0iOgSm27u-XbvllVpB26F8fLRZUaobX1KsMwd1Tx-M-Q=w1562-h1171

Last edited:
Not a civil engineer, but my first guess would be some mechanical abutment that is disrupting the bottom flow/current at the edges with the goal of forcing deposits to occur at the edges and forcing all of the bottom erosion to occur in the center of the river to avoid dredging activities. Dredging is expensive and on the mighty Miss, I would expect the army corp to take proactive steps to minimize dredging expenses and keep the shipping lane deep.

Larry

Last edited:
THnks

Hey Larry,

That makes perfect sense to me. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Not a civil engineer, but my first guess would be some mechanical abutment that is disrupting the bottom flow/current at the edges with the goal of forcing deposits to occur at the edges and forcing all of the bottom erosion to occur in the center of the river to avoid dredging activities. Dredging is expensive and on the mighty Miss, I would expect the army corp to take proactive steps to minimize dredging expenses and keep the shipping lane deep.

Larry

Pete, I can't see the photo but are you looking at a wing dam? There are a bunch of them in the Mississippi. I watched a guy get pitched off the back end of a boat that hit one. The boat driver didn't know about the dangers of them (or what the buoys were for either). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_dam

Not wing dam(I dont think)

Hi Nathan,

Did not look like a wing dam. Hopefully the pic will show up for everyone - Google Photos can be fussy, but they usually show up.

Pete, I can't see the photo but are you looking at a wing dam? There are a bunch of them in the Mississippi. I watched a guy get pitched off the back end of a boat that hit one. The boat driver didn't know about the dangers of them (or what the buoys were for either). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_dam

Those are definitely wing dams/dikes. the encourage the current to keep the shipping channel scrubbed deep enough that it minimizes dredging requirements.

I race Kayaks on the Missouri and every year somebody or other will poke a hole in a boat by hitting one of those just under the water. They can be either underwater of high and visible, depending on teh river level, which changes quite a bit more that you would think.

Back