What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 keeping it on tie-down

mxhossai

After getting my RV-12 back from shop after about two years, in the shop (an story on itself) due to bird's next fire on run-up, will be bringing her home end of this week. However, I will be parking it on tie-down as there are no hanger space available at the airport. Two questions:

1. If any of you have it out on tie-down, whats your thoughts on maintaining it best possible being exposed to the elements?

2. Not being a very knowledgeable in the RV12 maintainence (bought it as a second owner), what are the most frequent 'gotchas' to look for before and after each flight and frequently in general?

Thank you,
Monir

Bruce Custom Covers -- extended version

I have had good luck with Bruce's Covers for several different planes. Solid fabric and good mechanics. Good phone service, but maybe some production time before delivery.

When I was at risk of losing my hangar space (due to a priority Pilatus that was going to empty our shared hangar) I found out that Bruces has an extended cover that extends the sides down onto the wing root by about 6 inches out on the wing. Costs a bit more. Turns out that the extended canopy cover is one part of the full canopy/wing cover system that they sell. (Fortunately, I never ended up in the tiedowns.)

The extension onto the wing reduces the possibility of wind lift and seems to eliminate rain and melting snow from entering the wing root. I think that will solve your issue. I used to live in Virginia, and know you don't have the high temps/scorching sun and/or heavy snows for which I would recommend the complete cover. I see they have several choices for the RV-12, including an extended cover. https://www.aircraftcovers.com/RV12

1. An extended canopy cover such as offered by Bruce's Covers works well to keep water out of the cockpit and avionics compartment. If you have the fuel system air vent in the fuel cap make sure the cap is protected from water intrusion while the aircraft is on tie-down.

2. Regarding "gotcha" preflight items:

-- If you have the fuel system air vent in the fuel cap be sure it is open, free-flowing, and has no debris.
-- Give an extra close look at your tires' inflation and tread condition (and brake linings if visible) -- these items are particularly important for aircraft with a free-swiveling nose wheel.
-- Look for any trace of fluid on the belly aft of the firewall cooling exit. The ROTAX 912 typically does not leak oil or coolant.
-- If you store your plane outside in cold-weather country check all control surfaces for freedom of movement and absence of internal ice that could vibrate free inflight and interfere with control movement. Be alert for ice build-up inside the spinner. Freezing rain is nasty stuff both in the air and on the ground.

Thank you will check out Bruce's covers, called them today they were helpful. And also be mindful tire, leaks etc.

Back