What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing and T/O performance charts

Joepre

Does anyone have any landing and t/o performance charts for an RV6A? I have an O360 with CS prop. Don't see anything in the POH section of the site. There was one possibility, but it's not exactly correct. There never was one in the aircraft POH. We are the second owner. This is more for High-Altitude/temp t/O and landing performance.
JP

Does anyone have any landing and t/o performance charts for an RV6A? I have an O360 with CS prop. Don't see anything in the POH section of the site. There was one possibility, but it's not exactly correct. There never was one in the aircraft POH. We are the second owner. This is more for High-Altitude/temp t/O and landing performance.
JP

So I assume you bought the plane built already. In Phase 1, the first 40 hours you are to do a flight test program and test and validate performance. The best location for performance is Van's web page.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-6/
and
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/3-9FLY-2-19-screen.pdf

The above does not have RV-6/6A. You can guess between RV-4 and RV-7
SPECIFICATIONS (RV-4 and RV-7)
Top Speed (all speeds in statute mph) 204 216
Cruise (75% @ 8000’) 192 206
Cruise (55% @ 8000’) 173 186
Stall speed (solo weight) 52 51
Takeoff Distance (ft, solo weight) —- 250 250
Takeoff Distance(ft, gross weight) 450 500
Landing Distance (ft, solo weight) —- 350 350
Landing Distance (ft, gross weight) 425 500
Rate of Climb (ft/min, solo weight) —- 2550 2450
Rate of Climb (ft/min, gross weight) 1650 1900
Ceiling (gross weight) 19,500 22,500
Range (statute miles, 75% @ 8000’) 640 765
Range (statute miles, 55% @ 8000’) 790 935

Keep in mind these are best possible max performance. So Takeoff max gross 500 feet ground roll + 500 feet to climb to 100 feet above runway (Vx approx 82 mph). Total 1000 ft for take off.

Landing 500 feet (roll).... from touch down. To clear an obstacle and flare will eat runway is skill based. Some pilots will be very comfortable on 1000 ft runway and some need 2 or 3000 ft... again pilot skill.

Recommend you study how to record performance and create your own performance data. Bottom line the RV performs so much better than a spam can (typical Cessna or Piper). If you get sea level performance there are generic tables and "rules of thumb" to factor that data for density altitude. Use this chart in this FAA document to decrease your sea level performance. You might want to take another 10% reduction in performance for good measures. This does not include gusty conditions and down drafts... etc.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gsl...P-8740-02 DensityAltitude[hi-res] branded.pdf

Last edited:
Performance

I?m told that the technique is to let your buddy take off first. If he makes, you should be OK.

JP

Other than the field being too rough for an RV, if the O360/CS doesn't have a lot of takeoff margin at legal gross weight and typical conditions, it isn't a runway. Landing is more pilot skill as to what performance can be expected.

This is more for High-Altitude/temp t/O and landing performance.

Hi JP, I don't have what you are asking for but might be able to help if your search is a bust.

I have a different airplane/engine (RV-4, 160hp O-320, Sensenich GA). Nearly all of my operation is pretty high with home bases being at 5k' MSL and 7,400' MSL (2,600' long with 50' obstacles). During the summer, density altitudes of 10k'-12k' are not all that unusual. Much of this operation is from dirt/gravel back-country airstrips with obstacles. To be comfortable/confident in this type of operation, I have spent a great deal of time testing and measuring actual performance. I'm not into the 'let's give it a shot and see what happens' style of operation.

I found the MountainFlying.com rules of thumb here to be a very good starting point.

Happy to discuss further if interested.

Back