What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 4500 and TruTrak Vizion 385

ALagonia

Well Known Member
I am considering upgrading my TruTrak Digiflight II to their Vizion 385. Does anybody have experience with the Vizion 385 and the AFS 4500 system? My specific question is with an ARINC module will I be able to set preselect, select altitudes through the EFIS or must I set this on the autopilot head? Same question with step down, glide slope intercept and Minimum altitudes during an LPV approach?

When using the ARINC interface the EFIS takes over some of the autopilot calculations and inserts data directly into algorithms rather than purely specifying a heading or altitude. You will have to ensure the Vision will receive those commands in the same way a Digitrak did.

I would ask TT if it will react the same way and ask AFS if they have tested the combination.

Pete

When using the ARINC interface the EFIS takes over some of the autopilot calculations and inserts data directly into algorithms rather than purely specifying a heading or altitude. You will have to ensure the Vision will receive those commands in the same way a Digitrak did.

I would ask TT if it will react the same way and ask AFS if they have tested the combination.

Pete
Thank you. I have already sent an email to TT but no answer. I also posted that question on the AFS forums. Waiting on an answer from them as well
Angelo

The answer to your question is yes. You can do it either method, but using the altitude bug in your 4500 makes life much easier.

I basically just leave the Vizion in GPSS and control altitude from the EFIS Alt bug and flight plan from my GTN650. No need to touch the AP head.

I did have an occasion when the ARINC receiver in the AP failed and I was in IMC. I did use the manual altitude and heading controls on the AP to fly the remainder of the trip.

There's another option of setting the altitude in the EFIS flight plan, but that may only be in the 5000 series.

For those who are reading this and might also be GRT EFIS owners, the answer is pretty much the same. Let the EFIS do all the math for climb rate or airspeed etc. Install the TruTrak in accordance with their installation manual, including the EFIS/GPS switch on the ARINC 429 lines and you're good to go.

The answer to your question is yes. You can do it either method, but using the altitude bug in your 4500 makes life much easier.

I basically just leave the Vizion in GPSS and control altitude from the EFIS Alt bug and flight plan from my GTN650. No need to touch the AP head.

I did have an occasion when the ARINC receiver in the AP failed and I was in IMC. I did use the manual altitude and heading controls on the AP to fly the remainder of the trip.

There's another option of setting the altitude in the EFIS flight plan, but that may only be in the 5000 series.
Thank you Bob. Exactly what I was hoping to hear

Back