What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer wheels/brakes with Vans master cylinders?

dreed

Well Known Member
I guess the title says most of it, but is anyone running Beringer wheels with standard master cylinders? I just ordered the nose wheel, but the thought of the sealed bearing, tubeless tires and better brakes is appealing (plus matching wheels for my OCD).

Has anyone run this set up or heard of a pro/con? Is the stroke volume on the stick master cylinders adequate for the Beringer brakes?

The Matco master cylinder bore is .625, and the Beringer is .500.
its NOT generally a good idea to mix components that werent engineered together. Using a Matco master and the Beringer mains would have slightly less brake hydraulic pressure. How much and what effect that would have on YOUR plane is something to decide.

If its the banjo fittings on the masters that concern you, dont let that bother you.

Tom

The Matco master cylinder bore is .625, and the Beringer is .500.
its NOT generally a good idea to mix components that werent engineered together. Using a Matco master and the Beringer mains would have slightly less brake hydraulic pressure. How much and what effect that would have on YOUR plane is something to decide.

If its the banjo fittings on the masters that concern you, dont let that bother you.

Tom

Agree with Tom. The banjos are absurdly easy to install (use copper washer, torque to spec, done). Tom can fix you up with lines to make it even easier.

Thanks Tom! That is the kind of information I was looking for. My brakes are already installed, plumbed, etc. but the thought of tubeless, sealed bearing and light are all very attractive to me (and the wheels are just beautiful). I know Alan (anti splat) could do the bearings, but I am still left with tubes.

Let me ponder a bit- I'll definitely reach out to you on the lines should I decide to move to their entire set up. Was just hoping I they were similar enough that I could run them on stock internal hardware. I know their master cylinders are a much nicer setup in general

Last edited:
Also consider the fluid each component is designed to use. Matco master cylinders have seals compatible with red fluid, all the Beringer components I have worked on use Yellow (Dot 4) fluid. It is relatively straight forward to change the seals, but one end or other may need new seals.
Pete

Beringer does spec for 5606. NOW---if you can find Matco Masters with a 1/2" bore, I'd be alittle more comfortable. Beringer and others work out all the pressure/braking energy math guru stuff when they are doing the designing.

Back in the race car days, if we wanted slightly more pressure at the wheels to give a firmer pedal NOW, we went to a slighly smaller bore master. I can tell you that going from a 1" bore to a 3/4" makes a big difference in stopping power.
Problem on the plane is 4 masters to interchange, and a bunch of bleeding just to test the theory. I'd stick with the brake component manufacturers recommendations, unless you have a really good reason to change.

Tom

Does anyone have access to the piston size on the two systems calipers?

Have some friends in the industry that may be able do run some calculations for me.

Back