What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot upgrade

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I have an old Trutrak Digi flight II in my RV7. It works ?ok? it?s a little finicky but for the most part is fine.

I really would like the auto wing leveling / unusual attitude recovery feature and the ability to fly approaches with it as I have started instrument training.

Also installed is the GRT HXr

My question is should I upgrade to the Trutrak vision? I think it will interface with my GRT. Do I need to replace my existing servos?

If I have to replace my existing servos, would it not be better to go with the GRT auto pilot and I know will get along with my GRT unit?

I would like you opinions and what has worked for others. Thanks

Vizion is a drop in replacement using the same servos. Additional wiring is required to enable the level button, etc.

Contact TT to get a reduced price if you trade in the Digitrack.
Pete

+1 for upgrading to the Vision. I did the same upgrade and they gave me a nice trade-in for my digi. I love the Vision, and TrurTrack is great to work with

I did the Digiflight II to Vizon upgrade in my RV-10. It was pretty easy and straight forward.

In hindsight, I would have a couple more features that I would use if I upgraded to the Dynon servos and used the AP controls of my AFS 5500. AFS is unable to fly IAS on an approach using external AP heads.

I would at least get GRT a call. I'm sure they can provide you a detailed comparison.

The only advantage of an external AP head is if your EFIS fails you can continue to use the AP with the manual controls. I did have an ARINC interface fail on one long cross country. I was able to manually use the AP to fly the trip, which makes flying in IMC much easier.

These days, with the reliability of the major EFIS platforms, its probably a flip of the coin from a risk management perspective.

bob

As has been mentioned above, the TruTrak is a drop in replacement for your existing TT with the exception of adding the recovery button wiring. I have the GRT HX and replaced a Digiflight II with the Vision. Unplug the connector from the old autopilot, add the wiring for the new button to the connector, plug into the new autopilot. Go fly!

With the Digiflight IIVSG in the clouds I often have used control wheel steering and that is one of my favorite features. The Vizion will give you altitude preselect which is nice but not necessary in my opinion. Having auto pitch trim is a nice upgrade. I personally prefer a standalone autopilot in heading mode in the clouds because al lot of the time you're getting vectored around anyway. I've had too many weird things happen with autopilots controlled by an EFIS that make me feel uncomfortable using them in IMC. I once had a screen go blank, and fortunately I was in VMC at the time, but that was an eye-opener for me..having a separate AP has merits. A Digiflight IIVSG will fly a coupled approach quite nicely off a 430.

Any pireps on the TruTrak Gemini instead of the vision? I was thinking about adding a standby attitude indicator from GRT, but thought this might be a could substitute and an A/P upgrade at the same time and same panel space.

I just talked to TT last week about the Gemini VS the Vision. It turns out they are the exact same autopilot with the exception that the Gemini has a attitude screen. Turn the knob and you are looking at the Vision display. Turn it back and you have Attitude. The only down side is that the Gemini only comes in 3-1/8" and I really like my 2-1/4" Vision.

I had one of the best customer service experiences with Corey (If I got the name wrong my apologies.) today when I called TruTrak. He answered my questions discussed my upgrade options and boom it?s done. Went above and beyond and was not dismissed as an annoyance with my questions. TAKE NOTE GRT. (That?s for another post.)

Super excited about moving up to the vizion.

***Most important was how I was taken care of and valued as a customer. First class. :D

Back