What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which fuel injection pump to choose?

dwranda

Well Known Member
How do I decide which fuel injection pump to go with? It seems the main ones are Andair, Air Flow Performance, and EFII. I will be running 2 pmags not a full electronic ignition if that matters. What is your favorite and why??

My Dukes failed and chose AFP. I have the FI from them as well. Would chose them again and again. Great products and support.
David

Just a datapoint, I started with AFP and had a pump failure at about 300 hours, replaced it with SDS. I strongly suspect the pump failure was due to air being admitted into the fuel suction line through a detoriated O-ring on a fuel filter housing, so I can't say the pump is entirely at fault.

In the pastI would use dukes and they all started leaking between 5-7 years, this new Rocket got AFP , It is a continuous duty pump which is what sold me also it?s less $$

I have the Andair pump, has worked flawlessly for 600+ hours now. (Knock on wood :) )

ETA: To address the original question, which is "why?", I would say ease of plumbing, small size (allowed me to cut down the FP housing considerably), good customer service (the original one sat on the shelf for a couple of years and the preservative gummed up the bypass valve, right before A/W inspection...Andair sent a replacement, newer design, 2-day from the UK for no charge and only requested return of the original when I got the new one).

Last edited:
WE plumb alot of AFPs. The new version is just as easy as a EFII, SDS, or Andair. In and out. Getting all of this to fit under the stock covers--thats the trick.

Tom

I went stock on this one and got the AFP from Van's. I have not run mine yet but I can assure you it is a quality product based on looks and feel, very well manufactured.

Thanks for all the opinions and data. I guess I will be going AFP and using Tom for hoses and connections.

My vote is for Andair, the AFP I used 8 years ago was a bit awkward to plumb in. Andair is much more straight forward, particularly with filters in the wing roots.
Pete

Hey Peter, how you doing? Have you seen the newer version of the AFP pump that don released several years ago? Plumbing is a breeze.
Tom

Be careful when you choose a pump, not all of the mentioned pumps are self-priming! If you run a tank dry (accidentally hopefully), then it could be, that the pump is not over cumming the air pressure to bring fuel to the engine. This can also happen when you fly aerobatics and to much air goes into the fuel-pickup. At least one suppler warns about this in his installation manual.

Make your own research and ask the supplier.

Back