What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman Certificate: Mail or in person?

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello Gang,
So I called the FSDO up in Atlanta (I'm in Valdosta GA) so that I could mail in the paperwork (the application and the recommendation letter from the DAR). The FSDO told me I couldn't do it by mail. They said I have to do it in person because I have to show my builders log. I thought that was the purpose of the DAR's letter whch clearly states he reviewed my log. A couple of guys have told me that you have to do it in person, but today a friend told me he simply mailed his stuff to the FAA in OK. How have you guys done this? Have you been able to mail it in or did you have to visit the FSDO?

Jerry

I had to go in to my FSDO Jerry, even though I had a great letter from Mel attesting to my ability to produce a somewhat airworthy machine. Of course, the FSDO is right next door to our Flight Ops facility at Ellington, so it was no big deal to me. In the end, the "examiner" and I spent ten minutes chatting about mutual acquaintances, he looked at Mel's letter, didn't bother with my log (presented on my laptop, with pictures!), and went to his office type up my temporary.

I think maybe he was just lonely, all shut away behind three security doors and two secretaries....

Paul

Last edited:
I had to go in to Long Beach, CA

I had to go into the FSDO at Long Beach with my builders log and photos. Many FAA folks went over them in detail. I think I had to bring in the DAR documents as well. Anyway, I brought in everything because the repairman certificate was the prime reason for building the plane before retirement. They said that people come in with very little and they are refused. I eventually got the certificate in the mail, from the FAA facility in Oklahoma City I think, based on the Long Beach FSDO approval.

Bob Axsom

Even though a few FSDOs have been known to issue the certificate by mail, they are not supposed to. They are supposed to interview you in person. Since I started issuing a "letter of recommendation", most offices issue the certificate with few questions. However, it is still their prerogative to do a full interview. After all, it is their job to determine that you are indeed the builder.

Jerry

I mailed mine twice into the Atlanta FSDO and it got lost both times! I finally went in person this week and got it done in about 1 hour. (you need to call for an appointment.)
Scary part is they do not have any record of my AW certficate, I gave them a copy and told him I would fax a copy of the plane log book endorsment. He told me he hates to admit, but it happens more often than he would like. The guys were very friendly and helpful.

Steve

Here's how to go about applying for the repairman certificate

Call your local FSDO and make an appointment with an airworthiness inspector. Take the following documents and be prepared for a short interview.

Letter of recommendation from DAR if he gives you one (It's not required)
FAA form 8610-2 (application)
FAA form 8130-12 (eligibility statement) signed & notarized
A copy of your airworthiness certificate
Aircraft log book showing A/W sign off
Inspection checklist showing how you will conduct your condition inspection.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Here is how I did it

I called the Lincoln FSDO office and told them what I was doing. They sent all the paper work with samples as how to fill in the blanks. I already had the N number ect. I filled out the forms and mailed them in and in a couple of weeks I called them and made a appointment for an inspection. Within two weeks the inspector came out and met me at the airport. He looked the airplane over quite well, asked me if I wanted the brake bolts safety wired or if I missed that. I told him I missed it and would wire them. He then said " if you had the wings on upside down I would point this out to you, but if you said yes I know but thats the way I want them it would be ok with me, I just pointed it out, it would not stop me from giving you your certificate". He was very sure that I understood the paper work had to be in order and all plackards had to be in place and stay in place. He glanced at the builders log that I had just scribbled out a couple of days befor. I had some pictures that I said he could look at but he didn't. His main concern was that I built the plane and the paper work was in order. He had my temp. repairmans cert with him and gave it to me. Thats it and the way it should be. Not all these hoops to jump through to get something that you deserve to start with. Now if you hire your work done and lie to them you don't deserve a repairmans cert. and it will make it harder for the rest of us.

9-A flying and it's wonderful. :) It may not be perfect but I built it all and I painted it myself and painting sucks :eek: and is expensive. :mad: Hire it done it dosen't count as building.

Cheers

Sounds like I need to make a visit to the FSDO. Thanks for all your help guys and Mel, thanks for the specific information. Looks like I'm going to have to fly to Hartsfield again and put about 2 hrs on my plane...Oh darn! :)

Jerry

Here's me experience...

As I entered my local FSDO, the rep said "follow me". No greeting or introductions. I entered her office, she said "what cha got?". I gave her my paperwork. She made me do some corrections as to add my middle name and change the date to YYYY format. She came back, handed me my temp repairman certificate and wished me luck.
I asked her if she wanted to see my builder's log, she declined. No interview either. I was in and out in 10-15 mins.

Each FSDO has their own method of issuing the repairman.
Your experience may vary. It's interesting to hear about all the variations of the process.

repairman cert

Any suggestions on how to get the repairmans certificate? My DAR said he could not do it even though I was told he could. Do I now have to go to the FISDO? Ours is in Atlanta and I'm nowhere close. Is there an oral exam?

I was told the same thing

And I got a letter back from Oklahoma City saying my request was denied and to go to the local FISDO. They told me that DAR's can't issue repairman cert. so as far as I know, you have to make an appointment and go in. It was easy but it still took a couple hours.

Randy 8A
Flying

This is not hard at all, and keep in mind that you don't even need it until the first condition inspection is due. What I recommend to my customers is that they keep all of thier documentation together that they provided for the intitial airworthiness inspection, then make some entries in the logbook over the next few months such as completion of Phase I, oil changes, and any other adjustments or maintenance to propellers and/or fuel servoes/injectors, etc. This will create a record that you know the airplane because you built it and you have a track record of performing the required and preventative maintenance. I provide a letter of recommnedation if needed, and then all of this is taken to the local FSDO after making an appointment. I have never heard of anyone being denied.
Vic

When I issue an airworthiness certificate, I also give the builder a "letter of recommendation" for the repairman certificate including explicit instructions on how to apply to the local FSDO.
This letter lets the FSDO know that the applicant has shown satisfactory evidence that he/she has met the 51% rule. I've been doing this for quite a number of years now and it has never been questioned by a FSDO.

Sometimes they forget the letter.

My DAR, even though I asked about it, "forgot" to write my letter. Even though it was perfectly clear (from the builder logs, questions he asked and the hundreds of photos) that I had build the aircraft.

Fortunately, my contact at the local FSDO handled the repairmen certificate for me and issued me a temporary on the spot.

I took my builder logs, airworthiness and photos with me to the FSDO.

YMMV, as all FSDO are not alike. :)

That is what my DAR did.

When I issue an airworthiness certificate, I also give the builder a "letter of recommendation" for the repairman certificate including explicit instructions on how to apply to the local FSDO.
This letter lets the FSDO know that the applicant has shown satisfactory evidence that he/she has met the 51% rule. I've been doing this for quite a number of years now and it has never been questioned by a FSDO.

He also helped me with the application and hand delivered it to the FSDO!
My certificate (card) showed up in the mail. I assumed all DAR's did this.

He also helped me with the application and hand delivered it to the FSDO!
My certificate (card) showed up in the mail. I assumed all DAR's did this.

The DAR should not deliver the application to the FSDO. The FAA inspector is supposed to interview the applicant in person. I know that different FSDOs do things differently, but this is the way it is "supposed" to happen.

Last edited:
Interesting

The DAR cannot "legally" deliver the application to the FSDO. The FAA inspector is supposed to interview the applicant in person. I know that different FSDOs do things differently, but this is the way it is "supposed" to happen.

I am sure you are correct as always Mel. I had no involvement or converstaion with anybody from the FAA. My card just showed up.

Like I said,

I know that different FSDOs do things differently. I just wanted to get word out of the "proper" way of doing it so others don't get upset when their DAR refuses to "hand-carry" the application in.

The DAR should not deliver the application to the FSDO. The FAA inspector is supposed to interview the applicant in person. I know that different FSDOs do things differently, but this is the way it is "supposed" to happen.

Went to the area FSDO.
I brought my builder's log and was prepared for the personal interview.
Their was no interview and they didn't want to see my log.

They did make me redo some of the paperwork to correct date formats and middle name. It was all about the paperwork.:rolleyes:

I went to Lubbock's FSDO. No problem. Showed them Mel's recomendation letter and builders log. Inspector enjoyed looking at the pics. Very easy

Back