What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

...How many nutplates on inboard nose rib..?

bkc3921

Well Known Member
Sorry, but this is driving me crazy. When building the LEFT wing skeleton, Page 15-05 Figure 1 shows the inboard nose rib with the following description: "W-1208-R fwd and aft trimmed with TWO attached nutplates"...the instructions for building this rib is on Page 15-02 Figure 4...which clearly shows only ONE nutplate being installed. The AOA device attaches, and the nutplate is used for grounding some wires......................When you get to the RIGHT wing, its even worse...Page 15-07 Figure 1 shows the inboard nose rib with basically the same instruction, with THREE nutplates installed. Again, the building of this rib is accomplished as before, Page 15-02 Figure 4, showing only ONE nutplate installed. Yes, I could simply put additional nutplates on, but I always like to know why I'm doing something. Can anyone address this?...I would like a definitive answer on the number of nutplates on these 2 nose ribs in question. Am I missing something?... Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The drawing is newer...

Thanks for the reply. The left wing, showing 2 nutplates is from page 15-05, dated 11/15/18, revision 2...and the right wing showing 3 nutplates is page 15-07, dated 01/02/14, revision 0..........so they are both newer. I've only had the wing kit less than 3 months.

It's these little things that are frustrating. About 10 years ago on VAF, one builder posted a list of small errors, including a parts number typo on Page 15-06. That typo is still there, even though the date on the page is 2018..! ugh!

Any resolution on this?

Was there ever any resolution on this? We’re at the same point in the plans, with the same drawing date/revisions, and have exactly the same question!

Based on my review of the plans it looks like the inboard rib callout on page 15-05 (11/15/18, Rev 2) should read “W-1208-R FWD AND AFT TRIMMED WITH 1 ATTACHED NUTPLATE”. (Instead of two nutplates)

And the inboard rib callout on page 15-07 (01/02/14, Rev 0) should read “W-1208-L FORWARD AND AFT TRIMMED WITH 1 NUTPLATE” (again, instead of three nutplates)

Can anyone from Van’s confirm?

Thanks
Bob & Bruce

Last edited:
Well, I’m obviously not from Van’s, but having already completed my build, I recently had a friend that was building his wings ask me the same question. Our conclusion is that back when I built mine, the landing lights did not use shielded wire, which was subsequently added. The shielded wire required an additional termination for the drain wire. We speculated that the designers initially intended for the drain to be terminated in the additional nut plate, but the KAIs show you doubling the drain wire connection on the same screw/nut plate as the wing ground wire, thus resulting in an unused nut plate,

Anyway, that was our conclusion.

Bob,
Thanks for the quick response and that sounds like a very likely reason for the discrepancy. It sounds like installing the nutplates as I described will work so that’s what we’re going forward with…

Bob & Bruce

Bob,
Thanks for the quick response and that sounds like a very likely reason for the discrepancy. It sounds like installing the nutplates as I described will work so that’s what we’re going forward with…

Bob & Bruce

Glad I found this thread! Scratched my head too long…
Here’s the reference:

Attachments

• 176D6F2D-4F69-40C1-9108-27CA5CD7FA75.jpg
    176D6F2D-4F69-40C1-9108-27CA5CD7FA75.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 126
Back