What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat rudder pedals - Vertical or horizontally mounted standoffs?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I have the Vans rear seat pedal kit, and I'm looking at other installations. I see that some guys are mounting them vertically, as Vans instructs, but I see a few mounted horizontally. What's the advantage?

I'm tall, 6'3" so my pedals are pretty much all the way forward. I'm a little concerned that with the vertical standoffs, they might hit the gear towers before reaching maximum forward travel. The horizontal standoffs might mitigate this problem? See photos below.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• large_image_1650422_6_1622742827.jpeg
    large_image_1650422_6_1622742827.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 299
  • FB_IMG_1625123569500.jpg
    FB_IMG_1625123569500.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 300
I'm tall, 6'3" so my pedals are pretty much all the way forward. I'm a little concerned that with the vertical standoffs, they might hit the gear towers before reaching maximum forward travel. ...
I can't answer your question about how to do this, but I can say that the design allows the pilot pedals to be all the way back or all the way forward without any impact on the passenger pedals.

Moving the pilot pedals forward does not change anything with the passenger pedals. It's a clever design.

8 vs. 8A

Hey Mo,
Although there are a few custom designs out there to make the rear seat rudder pedals more ergonomic or effective, you are actually looking at a picture of the stock 8A on the left (horizontal install) and the stock 8 on the right (vertical install). The tail dragger design has the gear towers and the vertically mounted standoffs. With no gear towers and a different landing gear tube structure, the 8A requires the horizontal standoffs.

Back