What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High CHT on #1

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Today on climb out my number #1 cylinder was 30 degrees hotter than the rest. I usually climb with the oil cooler shutter closed to force all air through the engine cooling fins. This has never happened before and usually CHTs are 350 degrees but #1 was over 380 degrees and temperature was climbing. I lowered the nose, reduced power and #1 CHT came down and I carried out a precautionary landing. My RV 9 has an IO 320 D1A running Avgas. OAT was around 10degrees Celsius(50F). Any suggestions to possible cause would be appreciated. First thing in the morning will look at the injector and check for FOD around the cylinder. The engine only has 150 hours since new. Possibly also could be a probe problem. Thanks in advance.

How fast was it climbing? Were you ROP?

Rapidly climbing CHTs are often a sign of moderate or greater, detonation. If it went from 350 to 380, while all others stayed at 350, in less than 30 seconds or so, that would be my first guess. Detonation can occur from multiple causes, but a borescope inspection would probably be a good start, looking for carbon chunks that could cause pre-ignition.

Look at the spark plug wires that are in close contact with the #1 plug wires. Sometimes they wear badly and the energy can jump from one wire to another, creating a very advanced ignition event that causes the detonation. This often happens when one plug or wire has a high resistance and the energy finds less resistance jumping wires than it does through the bad plug/wire. Put an ohmmeter on each wire and plug. Not sure that this is possible on a 4 cyl engine though.

If you climb excessively rich and the CHT rise was slower, a mildly clogged injector is also possible. If you were in the neighborhood of 100* ROP during the climb, mixture cannot realistically account for the 30* CHT rise, as 50-100 ROP creates the highest CHTs. However, if you are climbing at 250-300 ROP, then dropping the #1 mixture to 50 ROP, via reduced injector flow, will up the CHTs a decent amount, relative to the others. This makes some sense, as the onset of symptoms was sudden. If this were the case, EGT readings should have confirmed it. Do you have logs you can check?

You can also do another test and let the #1 CHT rise higher, maybe 425. If the #1 CHT rapidly goes all the way to 425 or greater on #1, with the others at 350, it is highly likely that detonation is the cause. A clogged injector cannot realistically cause this level of CHT rise.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi Larry climbing about 1100’/m, mixture full rich. Borescope inspection tomorrow morning. Will publish result. Plug wires are good. Pulled the injector and it looked clear, it got a clean. If the borescope reveals nothing will try to fly it tomorrow but we’re experiencing some cr*ppy weather ATM so may not happen until Saturday. Thanks for the great response. Read up on detonation and pre ignition in Mike Busch’s “Engines”.

If it was a clogged injector you would have noted a increase in EGT as well as CHT. EGT would have been your first indication. I took off once and at 200 feet noted 1 EGT 150 degrees hotter than normal. Landed and cleaned the injector with a return to normal on the next flight.

Hi Larry climbing about 1100’/m, mixture full rich. Borescope inspection tomorrow morning. Will publish result. Plug wires are good. Pulled the injector and it looked clear, it got a clean. If the borescope reveals nothing will try to fly it tomorrow but we’re experiencing some cr*ppy weather ATM so may not happen until Saturday. Thanks for the great response. Read up on detonation and pre ignition in Mike Busch’s “Engines”.

I forgot to mention airflow issues. Might be wise to check the #1 cyl area for the beginnings of a bird's nest or something like a piece of plastic that got sucked in.

Larry

Last edited:
Back