What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

20 Years?

WVM

Well Known Member
Hi,

I was in OSH this year and witnessed the RV6 celebrations. I liked the t-shirt and while wearing it everybody was asking me "Do you have a six?"... As I am building a 9, I checked the first flight date on the internet during OSH and to my surprise this would be exactly 20 years next year. I was waiting for an announcement, but nothing seems to happen to celebrate this at OSH?!?

Is EAA unaware? Should they be informed about it?

Or are my sources wrong:
The RV-9A, a side-by-side tricycle-gear design, was first flown in December 1997. A completely new wing with a higher aspect ratio and new airfoil gave excellent low speed flying qualities and very efficient cruise. Similar in size and weight to the RV-6, it cruises at about the same speeds, but stalls several miles per hour slower. This wing permits the use of lower-powered engines, providing an alternative for those who don’t feel the need for a "bigger, faster, more powerful" airplane. Somewhat later, the RV-9 tailwheel version was developed.

Source

Primarily the reason for no celebration at the 20 year mark is that it is not significant to anyone but builders/owners of that particular model.

The reason for the 30 year celebration is that the FAA recognizes this as a milestone and allows the use of 2" registration numbers and use of an "X" within the registration number to replace the "Experimental" placard. ref: §45.22(b).

Last edited:
Back