What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Worn rudder cable sleeves

Vlad

Well Known Member
Question for those who work rudder a lot. How are your plastic sleeves holding? If the cable chews through the sleeve is there a way to replace it or the whole cable need to be changed? I turn the sleeves within the clamp every year but the wear is getting deep at 3,000 hours. Any ideas how to refurbish the plastic without replacing the cable?

Rudder%20cable%20plastic%20bushing%20-%201%201.jpg

Rudder%20cable%20plastic%20bushing%20-%201.jpg

Vlad,
Fly less.......:rolleyes:

I did not build my plane and you did...how was the plastic sleeve originally installed?
From my experience, the plastic tubing is pretty stiff and could be slit and popped over the cable. Seems stiff enough to hold it's shape.

Sorry, but I only have a 1/3rd of your TT....but you give me things to look for on CI's.
Merry Christmas Vlad.
PS...I enjoy your picture laden Russian slanted posts...keep them coming.
Hangar door is open if you visit Cousin Don again.

Cable Sleeves

Vlad,

If you rotate the sleeves 90 degrees, you can probably get another 3000 hours out of them!

How are the nylon bulkhead bushings holding up?

Skylor

Vlad,
Fly less.......:rolleyes:

Merry Christmas Vlad.
PS...I enjoy your picture laden Russian slanted posts...keep them coming.
Hangar door is open if you visit Cousin Don again.

Thanks Bob. Fly less? That's already happening. :)

Vlad,

Skylor

Two of them will be replaced during next inspection. The rest look good they rotate.

Skylor

The next size smaller bushing can be split, slid over the cable and snapped inside the original bushing. Doing this allows for easy replacement in the future. Just slit a piece of alum tubing and taper one end..... drop it over the cable and press out the smaller bushing.

I lubricate mine with multi-purpose spray lubricant with teflon made by Dupont This stuff is great because it goes on very thin to get into tight places and then turns to a waxy lube that will not sling off and protects against corrosion also. Very cheap also, found at stores on line or Lowes, Fleet farm, and other hardware stores. Test it yourself and you will notice the difference from other lubes...
I learned about it on a motorcycle site and they were discussing the best lubricants to use on their chain.:)
slsgoh.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have my instructions handy, but how did we put them n in the first place, Vlad? I don't think the cables come from vans with the sleeve already on. It's been 10 years since I would have done it though so I'm not sure. ???

Don't have my instructions handy, but how did we put them n in the first place, Vlad? I don't think the cables come from vans with the sleeve already on. It's been 10 years since I would have done it though so I'm not sure. ???

The plastic sleeves are pre-installed at the factory. The rudder cables come with the sleeve in place and both ends installed.

Back