What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get intercom audio into GOPRO cam

dicoreijers

I'm New Here
Hi All,

I'm looking for a way to get the audio from the intercom into my GoPRO Hero2. I was thinking that I'd just plug a connector from the backseat headphone jack into something that converts it to a 3.5mm jack (which connects to the GoPRO)... however I'm not sure where to get this cable or what it would even be called.

Any thoughts?

Dico

Just got thru building me a cable to do this exact thing.

There are two issues with just pluging a cable into a headphone jack and the mic input on the Gopro.

First is that the headphone jack is way too much power for the high gain of the microphone jack. It may even damage the camera over time.

Second is that the impedance mismatch that will cause distortion.

While if you plug it straight in, it will work, but it will sound bad and you may damage your camera.

I built this:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/line_to_mic.html

I used the 20db pad with the AC coupling capacitor. You need to double this circuit for stereo.

You will need a 1/4" male and a 1/8" male plug. Also some sort of y adaptor if you still want to use the headphone jack for headphones at the same time.

Works perfect for the GoPro!

AIrcraft Spruce also sells the same thing in a store bought version if you don't want to make your own.

I use a separate recorder.

What I did was buy a separate voice recorder, $50.00. Get one that records to files you can copy off to your computer. They record in mp3 files. Then I add the file to the video as a music clip. You can sync it and all, if you are using the right software. See some of my videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rfazio2009?feature=mhee

Here is a sample of the adapter you want to purchase http://www.pilotshop.com/general-aviation-digital-audio-recorder-adapter-p-11438.html?utm_campaign=google-simple&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-simple&gclid=CPezpM3tkbMCFcNM4Aod5RcAkg

No need to make one or buy a separate recording device and jerry rig something. These adapters are plug-n-play, cheap, and work great. The one I have works great with my Hero2.

One reason I can think of...that cost $34.95, mine costed $6 to make.

I realize some people don't want to make stuff like this. But just because you make the same thing at home does not mean it is "Jerry" rigged.

ACS sells a higher quality one for $29.95. It does not have the curly cord.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/recordingCable.php

Last edited:
Does anyone make a version without the pigtail ?

If you are talking about the curly cord:

11-10486.jpg

yes...ACS:

11-06247.jpg

Brian, I was looking for a cord without the option of plugging in a headset.

Plug directly from a spare headphone jack directly into the gopro.

I have a lemo plug setup with extra standard mike and phone jacks.

Although, the non-curly cord is good to know about.

Thanks,

Second the small digital recorder directly into the headset jack. No impedance or over gain issues. Works very well (panasonic recorder, Flightcom intercom). One reason for this is I can get audio from the entire flight that can be used for audio "fill" material (tower, other planes, plane to plane in my flight) for that flight our any other flight video I edit. Especially now that I have remote on/of for my Gopro, voice conversations would have bad continuity.

My 2?

Thanks,

Sorry, I am not aware of one made that way. The one I built does not have the extra female jack. If I need that jack, I just add a Y cable to the mix.

Thanks,

Get one of these:

http://www.yourcablestore.com/2-Foot-35mm-Stereo-Headphone-Cable-Male-Male_p_590.html

And one of these:

http://www.yourcablestore.com/35mm-To-14-63mm-Stereo-Headphone-Adapter_p_154.html

Its cheap and simple. The audio will be crisp, clear, and work all day long. I've used mine on almost every flight since new. Kinda of a poor mans flight data (video)/cockpit voice recorder.

Crisp and clear means different things to different folks. Also it depends on how hot someone runs their headphones and it also depends on what is doing the recording.

Some recorders have the ability to switch between "line in" and "mic in".

The Gopro does not, it is mic only so unless you run your headphone level pretty low, you will get distorted audio on the recording.

Not saying you won't be able to live with it, it just won't be as good as it can be. Tried direct connection myself and was not happy with the results.

Last edited:
Crisp and clear means different things to different folks. Also it depends on how hot someone runs their headphones and it also depends on what is doing the recording.

Some recorders have the ability to switch between "line in" and "mic in".

The Gopro does not, it is mic only so unless you run your headphone level pretty low, you will get distorted audio on the recording.

Not saying you won't be able to live with it, it just won't be as good as it can be. Tried direct connection myself and was not happy with the results.

Totally understand. Not sure how my audio levels compare to others, but I've been very happy with the audio quality.

For anyone interested, check out some of my youtube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxHqOZsunCVK_shYWSG5wVw?feature=mhee

All but one have in cockpit video/audio hooked up the way I described earlier, using the GoPro Hero2. See if you like the results. Good luck.

Lapel microphone

I purchased a tiny lavalier microphone and simply put it in the ear cup of one of the headsets in the plane. It picks up both intercom and radio transmissions. Cheap and easy and completely portable. The headphones do a good job of blocking engine noise but you can still hear it in the background. I like it.

David

Second the small digital recorder directly into the headset jack. No impedance or over gain issues. Works very well (panasonic recorder, Flightcom intercom). One reason for this is I can get audio from the entire flight that can be used for audio "fill" material (tower, other planes, plane to plane in my flight) for that flight our any other flight video I edit. Especially now that I have remote on/of for my Gopro, voice conversations would have bad continuity.

My 2?

Agree. A little time in editing is worth being able to mount the camera wherever you want without stringing wire to it. Plus, you can save audio any time and dub it in as filler for times when you have the camera but forgot the audio recorder.

Just got thru building me a cable to do this exact thing.

There are two issues with just pluging a cable into a headphone jack and the mic input on the Gopro.

First is that the headphone jack is way too much power for the high gain of the microphone jack. It may even damage the camera over time.

Second is that the impedance mismatch that will cause distortion.

While if you plug it straight in, it will work, but it will sound bad and you may damage your camera.

I built this:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/line_to_mic.html

I used the 20db pad with the AC coupling capacitor. You need to double this circuit for stereo.

You will need a 1/4" male and a 1/8" male plug. Also some sort of y adaptor if you still want to use the headphone jack for headphones at the same time.

Works perfect for the GoPro!

AIrcraft Spruce also sells the same thing in a store bought version if you don't want to make your own.

I am not very keen on the schematics, but in the diagram on the webpage for the 20 dB pad, it already shows the AC coupling capacitor right?

If I am reading it correctly, the AC coupling capacitor is labled C1 and has a 10 uF value.

Or, did you find some other circuit schematic for the AC coupling?

Thanks!

Digital Audio into iphone?

Has anyone tried recording audio into their iphone or android device? I suspect there is a way, but haven't really looked into it.

Has anyone tried recording audio into their iphone or android device? I suspect there is a way, but haven't really looked into it.

gvouga,
I would imagine the schematics on the webpage that Brantel linked earlier in this thread would have a good circuit to make an Android recording cable.
I am betting that even the same schematic we were talking about for the GoPro would work just as well on an Android device.

Most all of the Android devices have a mic input on their headphone jacks, and there are alot of good apps in the market we could use. Im going to stop by Radio Shack Friday to get the parts to build this cable, so I will give it a shot on my Galaxy Nexus and let you know how it works, and which App I like the best.

Back