What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9(A) get together at AirVenture 2012

Tumper

Well Known Member
It is that time of year again RV-9(A) guys and girls. Let?s try to get together again.

With that said I have not been real happy with our Oshkosh ?meet and greets? the past few years. Seems we just blend in with the rest of the RV crowd before the banquet. Don?t get me wrong I have really enjoyed it, but I feel like we are not really getting to meet, talk and get to know other RV-9(A)ers. (And it is hard to get a good seat at the banquet.)

Let?s have a discussion over the next few days about where we might meet so we have more time.

Ideas;
1) Same time/place as the last couple of years (just prior to the Van?s Banquet)
2) Evenings however Monday and Tuesday are out
3) Lunch ? it is hot and there is a show going on
4) Breakfast ? have some coffee and one of those hot cinnamon sprinkled donuts in the cool of the morning (sounds good to me)

Any ideas/thoughts?

Is it open to those of us who are still building our 9A's? If so, I'm in. Sounds like the RV-related activity dies off after Tuesday evening, except for a Team RV airshow on Weds. It would be fun to meet later in the week.

RV-9(A)

Open to flying, building or even thinking about building an RV-9A or RV-9.

Thanks for the input. Lets let this thread run a few days.

I would like attend, but arriving sat/sun and leaving Thurs morning for the long flight home.

I'll be there Tues thru Thurs ...

.... and would love to meet with a bunch of 9/9A ers. If breakfast Thursday morning turns out to be best, I can make that.

Love to do this! Need to catch a Wed eve flight out of ORD, so Wed noon is the latest that I could get together (and that is tight).

BTW, building my 9 (wings)

You need a facilitator

I attended this event in '09 and again in '11 (I wasn't at OSH '10) and it was a highlight of OSH for me both times. It really pains me that I can't be there this year.

I remember that one of those years somebody (can't remember who) took charge and the other year that didn't happen. The difference between the two was night and day. You need an organised programme to make this kind of event memorable for everybody.

If you don't mind me coaching from the cheap seats, I think somebody at least needs to call the event to order and get everybody to introduce themselves and say where their project is at. As the OP, how about you taking it on Dean? When that's done, why not divide down into two tables, one for flyers and the other for builders and have a 15-20 minute open discussion around building at the builders table and around operating at the flyers table. Two tables would work well with the usual attendance of a dozen or so and the actual topics don't really matter. Then call a 'recess' and allow people to change tables if they wish before having another 15-20 minute open discussion on any topic that people want to suggest. As a former management training instructor, that's how I would do it but it doesn't matter as long as there is some kind of programme.

As I won't be there, I won't express an opinion as to timing other than to say that a mid-week event is obviously going to catch the most 9-ers. However, Dean is right and it was noticeable that people arriving for the Vans banquet came through the area, meaning that it sort of broke up in confusion. From that point of view, if you are going with the usual timing, a nearby but separate venue would be better.

Somebody make sure to post a report (with pics) on how it goes - for all of us who can't be there.

I'm gonna miss you guys this year. I'm staying home and making a push to try to get my plane inspected by the end of the year (notice I didn't say done). We'll see how that goes. I got more avionic purchases I plan to make once I am out of Phase 1.

Any Time...

... as long as it's after Tuesday morning :D

Hi Dean, I'll be there again this year. I was there for the first instance of the -9(A) get together in 2009 and really enjoyed it. had the opportunity to meet you and Smitty, as well as the most famous 9A representative Vlad himself.

I couldn't get a decent price for a transatlantic flight before Monday, so I'll miss the Van's day, but I'll be at the banquet and hope to meet fellow 9(A) builders/flyers.
I hope you'll be able to set up a schedule for this meeting before I leave, because I won't be able to monitor this forum once in the US :(
Cheers

We will be there with our 9A but we arrive on Saturday and leave on Wednesday morning. Obviously we would like the gathering to be Monday or Tuesday.

Will be there the whole week. Obviously Monday night's out, and I hear PilotsOfAmerica is having their own beer get-together Wednesday night. Otherwise, I'm completely open.

I was also there in 2009!
For this visit, Monday and Tuesday are my options, Wednesday is reserved for seeing parts of Wisconsin where the airplanes are not. :eek:

Any reason we can't do double duty at Dan Horton's Monday Social?

Here it is

I have tallied the results and it looks like Wednesday early is about as good as it gets. In the middle of the week so those that are just there for part of the week can hopefully make it (Sorry Chip). Let?s meet around 9:00 am at the serving area northeast of Phillips 66 Plaza. From the center of the plaza travel 027 degrees for about 432? and you should be there. Or just south of the Honda Jet tent. We can have coffee and donuts and spend as long as we want discussing Van?s finest. Bring pictures if you can, building or flying.

However, I still plan to be at Van?s Banquet about 1 hour before it begins so if you would like you can show up there also.

I hope everyone can make it.

I would also like to put out a request to one of the most famous RV builders and one of our own ?Vlad, spend of that paint job money and come and join us?. :)

Be safe traveling and we will see ya there?

Back