What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any new options for inflight weather ??

Darren S

Well Known Member
My flying style has changed and I now NEED inflight weather.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Garmin Aera 510 and hooking up XM weather. I have an Advanced 3500 EFIS but I like the portability of the Garmin so road navigation is easier in the places I land.

I use an Ipad in the cockpit but as we all know, up at altitude the 3G reception sucks and I can't rely on it to update (Foreflight) the METARS, Flight Rules, Radar etc....

Questions:

1. Any new ways of using the iPad for inflight weather that is reliable ?
2. Does anyone currently use the Aera 510 with XM and have any issues ?
3. Other suggestions.

I thought I'd tap into the vast VAF knowledge base before I break out the VISA:)

Thanks,

Darren

I cant comment specifically on technology and who offers what, because I just don't know. What I can do is climb up on my soapbox for a minute and address a few things I've noticed in the radar room. Two issues come to mind that some GA pilots aren't aware of and they are fairly important in respect to safety and aeronautical decision making: Latency, and Composite vs. Base Reflectivity.

First i will address latency: Latency is a fancy term for "How long has it taken for information to be received, disseminated, and appear to me as new information?" I've seen some pilots skirt 1/4 mile into a cell in IMC according to my raw (5 second old) radar return on the ground when they assured me that their (5 minute old) satellite weather showed it a mile off their wing. Hint: weather moves! Be aware of how old the information on your weather display is and don't try to pass ahead of a moving cell based on old information.

Secondly, the difference between base reflectivity and composite reflectivity is important as well. A thunderstorm does not always rise uniformly, nor does it always produce precipitation (what the radar is seeing) to the base of the storm (the difference here being a towering cumulus vs a fully mature thunderstorm). A towering cumulus (TCU) might not be as dangerous as a fully mature thunderstorm (TS)--I wouldnt want to fly in either--but one will show up on a Base return and one will not. Composite reflectivity will show precipitation throughout the altitude strata and highlight the strongest echo regardless of altitude. Base reflectivity only shows it at the ground. Both returns can be useful, but it's important to always know what you're looking at.

just some food for thought.

Thats why I stay way the heck away from storms that show up on my screen!

An option for weather is ADS-B in using the Ipad and WingX. Foreflight is suppose to start supporting some of these options soon.

I'll start researching but how does ADS-B work with the iPad? A separate subscription? An external antennae needed? I've never heard of this option so thanks for the suggestion Brantel.

Subsrcription is free, but

The hardware isn't. Go to http://skyradar.net/ to read more. Also the WingX Pro Sy system runs that on th iPad. You might read about it there.

Good luck.

I'll start researching but how does ADS-B work with the iPad? A separate subscription? An external antennae needed? I've never heard of this option so thanks for the suggestion Brantel.

I cant comment specifically on technology and who offers what, because I just don't know. What I can do is climb up on my soapbox for a minute and address a few things I've noticed in the radar room. Two issues come to mind that some GA pilots aren't aware of and they are fairly important in respect to safety and aeronautical decision making: Latency, and Composite vs. Base Reflectivity.

First i will address latency: Latency is a fancy term for "How long has it taken for information to be received, disseminated, and appear to me as new information?" I've seen some pilots skirt 1/4 mile into a cell in IMC according to my raw (5 second old) radar return on the ground when they assured me that their (5 minute old) satellite weather showed it a mile off their wing. Hint: weather moves! Be aware of how old the information on your weather display is and don't try to pass ahead of a moving cell based on old information.

Secondly, the difference between base reflectivity and composite reflectivity is important as well. A thunderstorm does not always rise uniformly, nor does it always produce precipitation (what the radar is seeing) to the base of the storm (the difference here being a towering cumulus vs a fully mature thunderstorm). A towering cumulus (TCU) might not be as dangerous as a fully mature thunderstorm (TS)--I wouldnt want to fly in either--but one will show up on a Base return and one will not. Composite reflectivity will show precipitation throughout the altitude strata and highlight the strongest echo regardless of altitude. Base reflectivity only shows it at the ground. Both returns can be useful, but it's important to always know what you're looking at.

just some food for thought.

+Avoid by 20nm around, and 5000' over the top. Minimum.

Navworx has a solution for the IPad and WingX supports it right now. Foreflight is suppose to soon. It uses a Wifi adaptor on the Navworx box. I think the adaptor is like 189 bucks.

You also have to buy the Navworx UAT. The receiver if you already have ADS-B out or the transceiver if you need the Full Monty.

Last edited:
Lots of suggestion using ADS-B for weather, but is it available in Canada? I thought this was only available in the USA for free weather and traffic.

Dont think ADS-B is available for whole US yet

From what I was told at Osh and what I have read ADS-B coverage is not yet available for for most of the midwest, will start to become available next year

I use the Skyradar ADS-B portable receiver with my IPAD2 and have been delighted. With 2 planes, I move it to whichever I'm flying that day. The ground stations are continually being populated and coverage around the country is now pretty good. I'm in East TN and coverage is Excellent here.

I also use WingXPro7 software, but Skyradar has its own software which is quite good, too.

The ADS-B service is free. The Skyradar portable receiver is about $1000. It connects to the Ipad via WiFi. Overall, I'm very pleased, and have dumped XM Wx.

If you're interested in the Skyradar, they have a "sale" til March 15....anyone can use my code to get the discount. It's "NjRhNGQ1".

Bill

Bill,

Where you based out of?

Three of us and soon to be four RV'rs over at KMOR.

What are you using for your ADS-B out?

SkyRadar Screen Resolution

Is the Wx resolution as poor as shown on their screen shots? Seems odd considering the Ipad screen resolution is so much better than this and NEXRAD is as well.

I'm quite pleased with the ADS-B wx service displayed on my iPad by skyradar. I use wingxpro7 app, but skyradar has its own app which is very good too. The skyradar also includes waas gps, so you don't need it in your iPad. Wx products include NEXRAD, metars, tafs, winds aloft, pireps, and tfr's.

I live in east Tn, and coverage is excellent here, due to be nation-wide next year.

iPad screens can be reflective, but shading helps. Pay $1000 for skyradar plus your iPad and it's screen resolution and no monthly fees, or pay $2500 for a garmin 796 with better resolution, XM wx, monthly fees, and use the 796 for that function only. Everything is a compromise. After 6 years of XM weather, I like the new ads-b weather very much.

Last edited:
Does ADS-B give you TFRs?

Yes...here are the services available with simple adsb in (978)

* Aviation Routine Weather Reports (METARs)
* Non-Routine Aviation Weather Reports (SPECIs)
* Terminal Area Forecasts (TAFs) and their amendments
* NEXRAD (regional and CONUS) precipitation maps
* Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) Distant and Flight Data Center
* Airmen?s Meteorological Conditions (AIRMET)
* Significant Meteorological Conditions (SIGMET) and Convective SIGMET
* Status of Special Use Airspace (SUA)
* Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs)
* Winds and Temperatures Aloft
* Pilot Reports (PIREPS)
* TIS-B service status

Antenna's for SkyRadar?

I'm having to fight the urge to grab the credit card and place an order.

You guys using the the SkyRadar, how is the antenna working out? Did you buy the dual or single unit? Where do you keep the unit in the airplane while in use? Any issues with reception?

If the Dynon guys are listening in, it would be awesome if SkyView could support SkyRadar weather info via the USB port, or some other option.

You guys using the the SkyRadar, how is the antenna working out? Did you buy the dual or single unit? Where do you keep the unit in the airplane while in use? Any issues with reception?

If the Dynon guys are listening in, it would be awesome if SkyView could support SkyRadar weather info via the USB port, or some other option.

Hey Chip,
Dynon needs to get on the ball with the weather integration. I too am ready to pull the trigger on the SkyRadar unit, holding out for Dynon seems futile.

I've got both Skyview and Skyradar feeding an IPad with WingX. The Skyradar is well worth the money (sell your 496 and it'll pay for it and you'll also save money on monthly XM). It gives you a built in waas gps and all of the ADSB weather functions. Works very well. The box is small and if you can get the stick antenna up near the canopy it works fine. They make an antenna extension so you can remote mount it and suction cup the antenna to the canopy or you can hook it up to an external (transponder) antenna which is what I did. It got good reception both ways.
I've had my Skyview for almost 2 years and weather is probably the number one thing folks have asked for. IMO, Dynon was waiting out the final ADSB mandate and is working on their own receiver box. Given all of the modules and software upgrades that they work on concurrently it must surely slow them down.

I place the Skyradar unit on top of the bar across the fuselage behind the seats, in my -7. I have the dual antenna unit, and reception is excellent. No need for remote antenna, in my opinion. I also use it in my Bonanza, and mount it in the rear of the baggage area on the hat shelf. Works great, which I was not sure of until many flights, in that location. Mfg says it just needs to be at or above the window height.

I have WingXPro and Skyradar's app. Both are excellent. Skyradar app also shows traffic....however, my use is primarily Weather. Not sure the traffic coverage is quite there yet.

I have now dumped XM Weather, and its frequent need for Refresh signals, monthly fees, and awful customer service. So far, I'm delighted with the ADS-B coverage here in the East (TN-NC-GA-SC). Have not had a single interruption of service, failure, or problem with ADS-B on Skyradar and Ipad.

Bill

Back