What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone build their own DRDT-2 frame?

diamond

Well Known Member
Just wondering if it's worth building my own DRDT-2 frame and then buying the head separate. I have some novice welding skills, but how much money can I save by doing this? If anyone has done this and wants to share their design and method, that would be appreciated.

DRDT-2

I built my frame and I'm sure lots of others here have as well. The design is provided on the manufacturers website. I built two and sold one to pay for the front end kit on the unit I kept. It is a little work but not too big of a deal when compared to building an airplane :)

I built mine, a tip, use a section of RHS to keep the upper and lower beams parallel. Clamp the whole thing together and weld the the back suppot on. keep it in clamps until it cools.

Too far to ship

I built my frame because of the outrageous shipping cost of all thing RV, tools and the like across the pond to Australia. Just followed the design on the web site and it came out very well. Gerry :)

Had one made locally.

We have a great local circle of talent - most of who happily trade for either each others skills or a ride in an aeroplane.

Showed it to my welder buddy, next thing he had shown it to his buddy who works in a CNC shop, another buddy got the steel from a scrap yard for pennies.

Within a couple of weeks I had this - slightly rusty but immaculately fabricated frame.

A good wire brushing, Lycoming 'sticks like the proverbial' engine paint applied - looked like a shop bought one !

The good thing is that once you assemble - there is sufficient adjustment/float in the front end to absorb any slight fabrication movement - not that there was in mine, but you know what I am saying.

For those that made their own, do the 4 holes drilled on the face and/or the 2 holes in the base need to be threaded? If so, what did you use to do that? Also, I have scrap 4"X4"X3/16" steel tube that I hope to use. Any problems with that idea?

Not threaded

It was years ago but from memory I just used nuts. Just it's a long way to reach into the frame to fit them.
Not sure about using tube, the frame really needs to be stiff.

Peter

Thread the holes.

If the gauge of the steel is bigger, no problems - if lighter - search the scrap yard.

Perhaps this economic reality should be factored in with regard to building the DRDT-2.

If you buy one for $399 and sell it after the project is complete, I believe it will fetch $300, the devices are so neat compared to the hammering banging unit.

Net cost $99 plus any shipping. If one can be built for around $125, it would be worth it.

I really like the DRDT-2, i've used both and would never go back to the hammer banging unit.

I have some novice welding skills, but how much money can I save by doing this?

Do it. You will save a lot.

For those that made their own, do the 4 holes drilled on the face and/or the 2 holes in the base need to be threaded? If so, what did you use to do that? Also, I have scrap 4"X4"X3/16" steel tube that I hope to use. Any problems with that idea?

Do not use the tube. It will flex. Go by the plans or as close as you can. It's plane fun to do the frame on your own.

I think HSS4x4x3/16 is probably too small if you are going to use the throat dimension shown on the drawing. The plans call for HSS6x2x3/16. The loss of 2" of depth is pretty significant. Even using the 6x2 there is significant deflection in the frame when dimpling.

If I was going to try the 4x4 I would use 2 pieces at the back of the frame effectively making the vertical tube 8x4. I think pinning the back of the tube in a more rigid fashion would help minimize the deflection you might otherwise encounter.

I had one made up locally asim in the UK and fitted the hydro-pneumatic head - so silent and effortless dimpling and i also used it for perfect back riveting as the frame was so stiff there was no flex.

I love it!

I had one made up locally asim in the UK and fitted the hydro-pneumatic head - so silent and effortless dimpling and i also used it for perfect back riveting as the frame was so stiff there was no flex.

I love it!

David, did you have it made to specs with 3" X 6" X 3/16" metal or did you use something different?

I am a novice welder with a Miller Autoset 180 MIG machine. I made mine out of scrap 3" x 5" x 0.25" and 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.25" tubing that I bought for $0.25/lb. I think I have about $10 in it before the powder coating, but I would have to weigh it to be sure. Definitely, build your own.

669249501_aQJMA-M.jpg

686431084_tgZop-L.jpg

Last edited:
Built my own...sold it here after I was finished and I think he sold it as well after he finished.

It worked great and saved me tons of time! Building it myself saved a ton as well.

Last edited:
I am a novice welder with a Miller Autoset 180 MIG machine. I made mine out of scrap 3" x 5" x 0.25" and 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.25" tubing that I bought for $0.25/lb. I think I have about $10 in it before the powder coating, but I would have to weigh it to be sure. Definitely, build your own.

Nice job. Just curious what the powder coating cost?

I think powdercoating was around $40. I went with the color that was being used for a large run of other stuff the guy was doing that day. You can save a lot by just rattle canning it, but I decided I saved enough on the steel to pay for the powdercoat. I hate painting.

Back