What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aftermarket Fuel Valve Handle

clevtool

Well Known Member
rvfs1_lg.jpg

I have just created a service bulletin due to Paul Dye's forced landing in his RV-3. As Paul said in the original post the handle is safe if installed according to instructions. As also stated, I agree that a product that leaves no margin for error in installation procedure is asking for trouble, and if Paul can miss it anyone can. When we first started selling the handle we supplied it with the key locktited in place. When it was obvious that there was a demand for the 'backwards' style we made a simple change that allowed installation in both directions, but then we could not locktite the screw it. Going forward we will likely sell two versions so this is not a problem, however with hundreds out on the market the potential safety issue must be addressed. It is good to know that with what has happened, both Paul and Louise feel confident in the product in their aircraft when installed correctly.

There are two big things to get out of the S.B. First, there is no reason to wait to locktite the setscrew. Second, if you have the handle or know someone who does have one check it right now.

The original instructions (not yet edited for locktite emphasis) are found here:
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/instructions/rvfs1.pdf

The service bulletin is found here:
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/instructions/rvfs1sb.pdf

NOTE: This is not the Andair Valve, but is a handle that goes on the stock fuel valve that comes in the kit.

-

I am really glad to see you reaching out here to the RV community Mike - I congratulate you on stepping up with a fix to a product that has been out for some time. Not all manufacturers and suppliers do this. Yes, most vendors have no way to track down every part they have sold, but that doesn't mean you can't spread the word. As we talked about on the phone, I think it is great to try and make the product as "goof-proof" as possible (speaking as a goof...), and adding a second set screw as a "lock-nut" seems to be a good solution to me. Jam/lock nuts are used throughout our airplanes on flight-critical hardware, with good results.

We're going to add additional set screws to both of our airplanes.

Paul

I applaud the SB, but I would have omitted the "we recommend" language from Step 4. That makes this step appear optional and is in opposition to the 'Mandatory' heading. Besides, thread-locker alone seems inadequate for an application where it is difficult to discern the state of the fastener and 1/2-turn can cause an off-airport landing.

I have not seen details of the off airport landing. What happened? I do not have one of the handles in question and cannot understand the failure mode.

Thanks Jeremy, I looked in a couple of areas but missed the actual location. Very useful info there.

Back