What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mechanical dimpler other than DRDT-2?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
The planning continues... Don't fear, I'm pretty much past the "can I build the plane?" part (a meeting last weekend in The Rats Nest with Mutha Jon and the other Rats was the last time I needed a "just start building the darn thing" talk). Now I'm on to collecting the tools that either my dad's workshop doesn't have, or I don't want to end up abusing his. :)

As I live in a condo, and will be doing much of the prep and construction either in the spare bedroom or garage, noise is a prime concern. I am all but set on getting a DRDT-2, even if I have to shell out for a new one, simply because I can dimple without whacking a loud hammer, but rather just pull down on a lever. For research and comparison purposes though, is there any other dimpler in the no-hammering-needed vein as the DRDT-2 that I could look at? Or is the DRDT-2 it?

Thanks!

The DRDT-2 is the only one of its kind I've seen and it was well worth the investment. I'm a big time tool nut that never sells his used tools but I have seen several builders sell their DRDT-2 when they are finished using it.

You may save a few dollars by keeping an eye on the VAF Classifieds or if you're real lucky someone might see this forum string and offer theirs for sale.

Good luck!

Actually I've built 6 airplanes with a "pop-rivet" dimpler. That and a pair of vice-grip dimplers.

It's not a big deal, really. Later generations are just getting lazier.

And guess what! You will NEVER get an accidental extra hole.

And I bet you've got forearms like a gorilla. I don't think my infrastructure could take it. Oh wait, you've got an air driven pop riveter.

I bought the DRDT head and built the frame. That was a fun project. I highly recommend this tool. I have the pop rivet dimpler also, but I don't really like using them as much since they are inefficient. I have three tools for dimpling. The pneumatic sqeezer, the DRDT and the pop rivet set and I use them pretty much in that order based on which works best for what I am dimpling.

Made my own

I made my own dimpler similar like the DRDT. Welded a C-frame, made a pin on a friend's lathe, fabricated a simple lever system. All parts came from the hardware store. Total cost: less than $100 and 4 hours or so of work. Works pretty well. Send me your e-mail address and I can send you some pics.

Thilo

Mel,

Where did you find replacement nails for the pop rivet dimple set? I have searced all over with no luck. Either the nails are too short, or it is a finish nail with a small head.

Brian - Fellow Texan displaced in DC

Good tool

Hi Scott

The DRT2 is spot on for noise problems and neighbour concerns. I have one, along with the air squeezer and the pop rivet dimplers. The pop ones are needed if you can?t reach a hole (like in a narrow or tight fitting part) with any of the others. Efficient, quiet and easy to use.

Cheers

Jim

Mel,
Where did you find replacement nails for the pop rivet dimple set? I have searced all over with no luck. Either the nails are too short, or it is a finish nail with a small head.
Brian - Fellow Texan displaced in DC

I use finishing nails. Not sure the exact size. Just whatever fits. One box lasts a long time.

Squeezer with C-frame

Hello Scott,

I had a giant C-frame made for my hand squeezer, something like 20 inches deep, from one inch thick steel plate. I had a couple of tabs welded on the underside so I could sit it on the work table. Squeeze with one hand and move the part with the other. Very quick and effective. I could still change it out for the normal C-frames for the hand squeezer. The Squeeser just barely made it through the project though.

Make it even bigger than mine, especially at the curve in the back. Sometimes the dimple dies would bind because the frame would still give a little.

jol_97c_u7ftd.jpg

Another very handy tool is a dimpler for the pneumatic gun. Cheap and also very quick (but noisy of course).

Regards, Tonny.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll stick with buying the real DRDT-2. Not feeling adventurous enough yet to build my own frame or anything like that. rwarre, I sent you an email last night through here about the Cleveland dimpler you have, FYI.

Thanks all! Off to Lowe's and the Avery site to load up on more goodies this weekend.

This is what I use.....of course it belongs to my company but it sure works nice. If money is not an issue than get one of these.

2011-11-30_15-17-08_612.jpg

Back