What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine/prop combination

Tiger 74

Hi all,
I have done around 25 hrs in my (purchased) RV3a (G-RODZ formerly N68AR).
It has around 480hrs total time on it and as far as I can see from logs, it has had the same engine/prop combination throughout - Lyc 0-320 E2A and Culver wood 68/68.

I find the prop too fine, as it red lines the rpm with a handful of throttle left to go, and only achieves around 140 knots flat out. It does climb very well though.

My question is, as this engine/prop combination has suited the previous owners, is this the best set up as a compromise between speed and climb?

For me, I would prefer to utilise all the RPM range, sacrifice a little climb performance, and get a better top speed.

My 8 will be flying soon and I then want to refurbish the 3 and use that opportunity to improve performance. Can anyone suggest a new prop for my existing engine, or a better engine/prop combination?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
David

I would like to know any recommendations as well. Have a O-320 with a 62 inch prop and am deciding my next step.

Catto

We have a custom Catto on ours with 160 hp and it climbs like a bat out of Hades. My Fixed pitch Sensenitch 180 hp RV-8 gets left in the dust when the wife throttles up the 3. The 8 was showing 173 knots true when she left me. Don't have the same instrumentation in the 3 so don't know what it's actually doing. Probably pushing 180 knots flat out.

Catto works magic in my opinion. No need for a constant speed on the 3 with this kind of performance.

I have a Catto prop on my -3 (O-320) and at about 8000 feet da I get a flat out redline right at engine redline of 2700 RPM truing at about 160 knots. The climb performance is well above 1500 fpm.

RV-3A Performance

Hi all,
I have done around 25 hrs in my (purchased) RV3a (G-RODZ formerly N68AR).
It has around 480hrs total time on it and as far as I can see from logs, it has had the same engine/prop combination throughout - Lyc 0-320 E2A and Culver wood 68/68.

I find the prop too fine, as it red lines the rpm with a handful of throttle left to go, and only achieves around 140 knots flat out... David

The RV-3A I restored and flew for a year w/an O-290"G" (125hp) would max out at 185 mph (160 knots?) at 1K, so you must have a fabulous ROC with that prop!

Doug
RV-3A sold
RV-9A FWF

Prop selection

As others have said, you should call Craig Catto. I had the same issue when I bought my plane with the Vans FP Sensinich prop 70CM x 79 if I remember right.
I flew my RV-3 over to his shop, and we bolted on a test prop from an RV-6 race plane. I took that up and got climb performance numbers first, and then flew a triangle course at 7,500 ft with 5 minutes on each leg, recorded the data and came up with good averages.
He then built me a custom twist for my plane. It is a freekin claw. I am now bumping up against 200 kts level flight at 2850 rpm. It has sacrificed some climb performance, but really...It climbs at 1750 ft/min at 140 mph so I will take the top speed all day long.
Plan for weight and balance adjustment. My swap took 19 lbs off the nose and I had to get a lighter battery, and move it well forward to compensate.
Well worth it. Never look back. Craig is "The Man"!

Been flying my new rv3b for a year, O.320 with low compression pistons (150 hp). 776 lbs empty weight. Cato 3 blade prop. I get 160 kts at 2500 rpm will easily turn over redline. Have not extensively explored top speed yet. Climb rates over 2000 rpm. I could probably use more pitch but for my mission profile I like the take off and climb performance.

The 'sleeper' wood prop is..Sensenich. I once had a 160 HP RV-4 with a Bernie Warnke (Catto is the modern day Warnke) prop that was crazy fast. Nothing special in the cleanup/cooling drag dept, and it was an honest 195 mph cruise a/c. The prop got broken and I never got the speed back with any other prop. I sold the plane, and the new owner later broke its current prop. He replaced it with a wood Sensenich, and it was just as fast as it was with the Warnke. The kicker is the price. Not as cheap as a Sterba, but about half the price of a Catto.

Charlie

Back