What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Slider?Getting in and Out

Tango Mike

Well Known Member
I own an RV-6 tip up and am comfortable with what I can grab onto getting in and out.

A friend has an RV-7 slider, and the narrower entry space between the windscreen and the canopy bow combined with the higher side rails make me nervous about what I can hold onto without breaking something.

I’ve uploaded a photo of another friend’s RV-6A slider with what appears to be a very handy addition of handholds. He didn’t build the airplane, so I’m looking for opinions on whether or not the experts think this is a good idea, and if it is, any ideas on where to find them?

Thanks for any inputs.

P.S. The image didn't insert, and I'm trying to find out why. It's on Photobucket, I used the insert image icon and pasted in the URL, which shows up the in edit mode between
, but it doesn't display in the post.

P.S. I just found a selection on Photobucket called "quick link" or something like that and it provided me with an option it didn't have before called "direct link," which the Forum instructions mention. I'm trying it here . . .
Handholdscopy_zps0f0b5fdd.jpg

Last edited:
you can try clicking on it and then open it in another tab. there is an image in there. :)

I bought a set of those handles but am afraid of what they could do to my forehead so they have not been installed. I would like a better idea.

I think you're right. The link you supplied took me right to them, painted WATCH OUT! red in their example, which I probably don't want, but I like the no welding part.

RV-7A Slider?Getting in and Out

I just grasp the roll bar brace with my right hand, place my right foot just aft of the fuel tank selector, shift my weight onto the right leg, and then sit on the back of the seat. I then move my left leg into the cabin and slide down into the seat.

I just make sure I do not touch the windscreen, fairing, or the canopy frame as I enter. My passengers do similarly from the right side of the plane.

Francis
N968BF

I bought a set of those handles but am afraid of what they could do to my forehead so they have not been installed. I would like a better idea.

In a wreck, there are much worse things that you're going to be hitting your head upon... such as the sharp metal edge of the glareshield, no matter how much padding you put on that will really matter.

In strong turbulence, your head is going nowhere near the handles or rollbar... it's going to smash straight upward into the canopy. I found that one out last week while crossing the mountains on my way to Idaho.

MarkW, have you considered cutting the "intentionally designed rather long" handles down as the website suggests?

There is a good selection of grab handles at Home Depot in the cabinet section. It might be difficult to fit them to the roll bar on an already built slider as you need access to the "backside" of the bar, 180 degrees out from the handle position.

Tango Mike,
I was going to install them through the first layer of the rollbar as the website olso suggests. They would not necessary be too long but still a bit dangerous.
I may still install them especially on the passenger side to keep newcomers from damaging the fairing.

+1 for this concern. Those look like a cranial basher for sure! Ouch!

I do not have any pics to show but when I enter the cockpit I place my right hand (sitting in the left seat) on the seat back crossbar between the seats. I step onto the seat with my right foot. Lift my left foot over the side rail and slide it down to the floor. As I am sliding my left foot down to the floor I place my left hand onto the side rail. Now, with my left hand on the side rail and my right hand on the seat back crossbar, I am supporting my weight with both arms. I can then slide my right foot down to the floor and sit down. Very easy!

Getting out I pretty much reverse the sequence except that instead of placing my right hand on the seat back crossbar I reach over to the right side rail and place it there. This gives me all the leverage I need to raise all my weight up using my upper body as it is supported by both the left and right side rail. I step into the seat with my right foot then out onto the wing walk with my left, followed by the right, and I am out. Easy Peezy!

Live Long and Prosper!

I try to keep my Oregon Aero cloth seat cushions as clean as possible.

In my -7A, to sit in the pilot's side, I slip off my left shoe, step on the seat with my left foot, grab the roll bar support with my right hand, swing my right leg through and down to the rudder pedal, lower myself into the seat and, most importantly, reach out and grab my left shoe to put it on. It helps greatly to wear slip-ons or velcro close shoes when I fly.

For the passenger side, I just lay a towel on the seat cushion so I can wash it on occasion.

I never was a fan of the handles. Just don't give me the warm fuzzies.

I have the same 2 handles in my 7 slider and they are fantastic, In a crash, as long as you have belts on they should not be a concern, if you hit those, expect to be hit by the much larger roll bar at the same time. Also when getting in and out your head comes no where near them, Personally they are only there to help you and in no way can hurt you. Just my opinion tho, of course.

-david

MarkW,

I have to admit that I didn't think much about the possibility of coming into violent contact with the handles when I asked this question. And in getting in and out of my friend's -7, I use exactly the same techniques mentioned by others, and they work.

The rear edge of the cushions on my friend's -7 seem to be especially low, and in combination with the higher side rails, it creates the feeling of sitting in a rather deep hole. The first hand placements for exit as described by RVbySDI require a slightly awkward vertical shove upward. It's not that much of a problem for me, but could be for some passengers, and I'm just thinking out loud about how I might be able to ease that transition up and out if I end up buying a -7 I'm considering. Dealing with another factor, however, may ease this concern.

From my fighter-pilot days, sitting low in a cockpit isn't comfortable. I use an extra cushion under the seats in my -6 so that the top of my headset is close to the canopy. I always strap in tight, but just in case I should encounter turbulence, I've covered the top of my Bose headset with moleskin to help prevent scratching the canopy if I come into contact with it. Adding cushions to the -7 might make the exiting easier during the initial rise up and out of the seat.

I haven't tried this, as the people I know with side-by-side sliders all have handles... but could you turn your hand palm-up, and grip the roll bar from the underside with your fingers?

(I've always liked that my tip-up seems to have about double the entry/exit space of the sliders... And you can lean heavily on the roll bar while getting in/out.)

Rob,

Not sure I am picturing your suggested grip on the roll bar, but my initial impression is that I don't want to be grabbing onto the bar anywhere near the windscreen frame. I've been cautioned about bumping the vertical portion of the frame with my feet where it meets the side rails because it's relatively fragile. It just seems best to stay away from them.

The narrowing of the entry space is definitely a factor. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the smallest group of people in the world consists of those who are ambivalent about which canopy option is best.

I have a tip-up on my -6, and the potential for wind grabbing it and ruining my day is the part I dislike the most. As for now, the nod has to go to the slider, and it's one of the factors on the plus side of considering this particular -7.

Rob,

Not sure I am picturing your suggested grip on the roll bar, but my initial impression is that I don't want to be grabbing onto the bar anywhere near the windscreen frame. I've been cautioned about bumping the vertical portion of the frame with my feet where it meets the side rails because it's relatively fragile. It just seems best to stay away from them.

The narrowing of the entry space is definitely a factor. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the smallest group of people in the world consists of those who are ambivalent about which canopy option is best.

I have a tip-up on my -6, and the potential for wind grabbing it and ruining my day is the part I dislike the most. As for now, the nod has to go to the slider, and it's one of the factors on the plus side of considering this particular -7.

I believe he is talking about the center support that comes through the top skin and connects at the top of the roll bar in the center. Its as simple as grabbing onto the support and pulling yourself up.

The only part of the entire roll bar structure i would be worried about breaking would be the fiberglass overhang that creates the seal between the windscreen and the slider itself. If you can move or break the structrue by pulling on it what will it do when it has to do its job when your upside down?

Flyguytki,

Rob said "roll bar," and "palm up," and that led me to the image of gripping it from underneath with the fiberglass overhang preventing me from getting my fingers around it. I agree that grabbing the center support isn't going to damage anything.

The few times I've tried getting out of a slider, after standing up there seems to be a "no man's land" position when the most convenient part of the aircraft to use for supporting the next move is either the fiberglass on top of the bow or the front edge of the canopy, both of which are to be avoided, right?

This thread began by asking about the utility of added handles, which except for the issue of safety that some have raised seem to offer a solid place to grab for the transition over the canopy rail and onto the wing. I'm not worried about my egress so much, but I can see myself hovering over a passenger like a mother hen. Not a pretty sight!

I think you both have the right vision of what I was describing. Your fingertips go around the bottom of the fixed roll bar. The fingertips just bump up against the inside of the plexiglass (or close to it). Your palm wouldn't get far enough in to make contact with the bar. You can really only pull straight back, so this would be most useful for the initial entry and/or final exit. Getting yourself down into the seat once you're sitting on the seat back probably doesn't need a roll at handle though?

It would require strong fingers, but I used to do a lot of rock climbing so that's easy for me. I'm going to have to try this in my hangar mate's slider RV-6 to see if it works.

Its So Simple!!!!

... All you need to do is go to the library, get a few books, read and practice up on your levitation techniques. Not a problem, glad I was able to help. Alan....:rolleyes:

orientation?

Mine are pretty much horizontal, so with the canopy open, grabbing is pretty easy. With canopy closed, they are just an inch from the top, so not much of a head hazard...about the same as the main brace running fore & aft. I padded my latch handle, it's MUCH worse...and closer!

that said, I have watched my buddies during stock car crashes, ( non-injurious) and even with belts cinched down incredibly tight, your big ol' fat heavy head flails around trying to contact EVERything in the interior....stretching the belts beyond belief! ( especially if not using a 5th point/crotch strap!)

( okay, they don't really 'stretch', but the forces make use of every bit of geometry and padding in the seat etc. to find movement.)

No handles necessary

I own an RV-6 tip up and am comfortable with what I can grab onto getting in and out.]
1. Put some no slip grip tape (wing walk material) on seat pan just fwd of stick.
2. Standing on wing right hand grips roll bar from underside.
3. Swing rt leg over track, step on grip tape fwd of stick.
4. Sit on seat back top.
5. Swing other leg over while Rt hand switch to roll bar support, left hand on side track.
6. Lower self into seat.
7. Reverse to get out.
No handles needed, and no need to step on seat cushion.

Choosing a method

I like the levitation idea best. :D

Methinks the key to Snowflake's method is his rock climber's finger strength.

I haven't given up on the idea of handles yet, or the suggestion to put a single one on the support bar.

The wing-walk solution would be good except that all of the visible seat pan area is carpeted.

As usual I've received the benefit of aviator/builder problem-solving expertise, and if I purchase this airplane, the best plan will be to wait until I've climbed in and out enough times to make a decision based on practical experience.

Then I'll do finger-strength exercises, add three handles, wing walk material, and levitate my way in and out of there.:)

Really appreciate the ideas, gentlemen, thank you.

It would require strong fingers, but I used to do a lot of rock climbing so that's easy for me. I'm going to have to try this in my hangar mate's slider RV-6 to see if it works.

My fingers arn't quite as strong as they were 55 years ago when I started flying and I could levitate at will, but the "palms up" technique still works well for me. It also helps to be 5' 8" and 165 lbs (I used to be taller but I shrunk).

Back