What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Heber, UT (36U)

pmccoy

Well Known Member
Hey VAF, I plan to fly my 9A up to Heber, UT this weekend. Any thoughts on approaching this airport, flying through Provo Canyon, FBO Services, RV friendliness, etc.

This will be my first trip up to Utah from SoCal. Just looking for a couple of tips on my first long Cross Country. Thanks.

there can be lots of traffic through Provo canyon. I'm not from the area, but have flown through there a few times. I like Flight Following in that area.

Watch the winds, we got rocked pretty good in a Rans S-6 climbing out of Provo heading into the canyon. 4G hit that felt like the tail came off. :eek:

FBO was nice enough and clean. No problems, we parked next to the fuel pumps(off the main ramp area) The FBO preferred that since it left room for the big stuff in front of their building. There are RV's based there and I saw others tied down, so must be RV friendly.

Last edited:
We flew over Heber City on our own first long cross country a couple weeks ago, from Albuquerque up to Washington. I like using flight following, but because of the high terrain, there was almost no radar or radio coverage (with approach or center) for us in the 9A at 12500 east of the Wasatch Range.

If you're coming from the southwest, though, flight following should be available to you to help with traffic around Provo, and I second hydroguy's recommendation. It was quite busy there on our way back from Washington, when we stayed on the west side of the Wasatch mountains.

Once you get to Heber City, the mountains feel like they're at a comfortable distance - pretty country!

I go there often in the bosses Lear. Very friendly folks. Crew car. Other experimentals on the airport. Glider activity in the area. Brush up on your mountain flying techniques or get some help from someone with that experience.

Heber

Heber is a nice place to visit.

Provo Canyon is OK to traverse, I simply stay a bit higher and on the leeward side depending on wind direction.

There is rising terrain on both ends of the runway. If the winds are high enough, they can create some interesting bumps in the pattern. If they are out of the SW, you can get some waveform downdrafts from the hill to the SW just as you are climbing out and turning crosswind towards the hills.

FBO is nice. Don't know what you are planning to do while there, but it could be pricey as Heber is a destination for the Park City goers and the market drives the costs.

You mention this is a long XC (and first). Please PLEASE file and activate a flight plan and use flight following if they are able. As you approach terrain, you will have to stay high to keep in radar. As you approach Provo Canyon, they will likely cut you loose as they can no longer see you as you descend. You will likely be on your own for traffic avoidance at the mouth of the canyon. Start talking on UNICOM ASAP.

The weather has been dicey this week. TS and RA have been abundant. Temps are dropping. This weekends forecast is not looking good for mountain flying.

With the lift, gliders are abundant, especially over the Cedar Valley to the west of Utah Lake and Heber.

Let me state again, file and activate a flight plan as you head to Utah. Have a good survival kit with rations. Be prepared for alternates (U77, KPVU, U14).

Have a fun trip, stay safe!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your comments. Looking at weather forecasts, I might be postponing this trip till next weekend. The 10 forecast is all sun for the 21st, but Thunderstorms this Saturday.

I am not in a hurry for this trip, so I think caution dictates a week delay.

Yes, I will be on flight following the entire flight. I have TIS, ADSB, Flight Following and MOST important, my eyes looking out the window.

Just some more info...Utah wise.

TIS works (within 40nm of SLC/PVU) OK now that PVU as a Terminal Radar. Actually TIS can get confused as you go over Utah Lake as you get a hit from SLC's Terminal Radar and PVU's. You will see yourself as a target in the same place as you are. I see it all the time in the G1000 birds I fly here.

ADSB is non existent in Utah currently. http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashmap/

Some may ask why I emphasized flight plans...even with flight following. Flight following is an optional service that ARTCC's provide for VFR. If they drop you, they drop you. There are some remote parts of Utah that have no cell/radar/radio coverage. You may need to land at an airport with none and have no means to communicate out.

With the flight plan, we'll start looking for you within an hour or two after you go NORDO. Without, it's any ones guess when efforts start.

Recent Case

We weren't notified until 24 hours later on this one. If he had filed and activated, it could have been much different.

Good luck! If you need to alternate to U42 and get stuck, I can put you up for a night. Shop is heated! ;)

RV10rob

Peter, rv10rob has a great 9 minute video on YouTube of him going through the pass & landing there.

I'd post a link; but I'm on my iPad & don't know how to copy it. :( it is easy to find though.

Happy & safe flying,

Unless the new Provo tower is off air.....due to cutbacks, you can alert them these days, when flying Provo Cyn. Parleys Cyn. out of Salt Lake, will get you there too. Check the chart, as it has a VFR cooridor through Class B.

Agreed. I found the video on YouTube by searching 'rv10 Heber 36u'.

This is a great video showing the Provo Canyon pass, and the subsequent approach into Heber. When the weather is right, I am taking this trip for sure!

If your coming out of SoCal I'm guessing you'll go by Vegas and east of the restricted airspace north of it. I've been making this round trip weekly for years. The monsoonal flow going right now is pushing a lot of thunder storms and rain in this weekend. Cloud layers in the southern half of UT this morning were the most "interesting" I've ever seen them. Your right, next weekend looks better.

Dale

Interesting experience

I just watched the video. Beside it, I had Google Earth running and followed the same flight profile on Google Earth. Very interesting running them side by side.

After watching Rob's video of the approach to Heber, it inspired me to search for video approaches to Oshkosh. I had my big screen TV running the Fisk approach, as I followed along on the iPad using WingX Pro. Very cool. I will be busy for hours now, as I search for cool airport to "Fantasy" fly into.

Back