What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aviation Laboratories - 3 Month Delay for Oil Analysis Results

Noah

Well Known Member
Anybody experienced long delays getting results from Aviation Labs for oil analysis? I sent them a sample in early November of last year, and didn't get any results from them until early February - ALMOST THREE MONTHS! When I called them they claimed that the US Mail can take UP TO TWO MONTHS to deliver the sample, which to me seems a little unbelievable. I can see maybe a couple of weeks for 3rd class mail or whatever their packaging uses, but not the 8 or 10 weeks they are saying. And they also claimed to have a machine down as well which they said explained 2-4 weeks of delay. The whole point of doing oil analysis is to give you timely warning about a problem developing within your engine, and 3 months is not timely.

My next oil sample is ready to be sent off, and I am debating whether to use another lab or take another chance on these guys. Problem is, I bought a bunch of kits from Spruce, which I guess I could return.

Anybody else have any experience with these guys?

Yes, I also had a big delay

I'm not at home and can't provide exact details but my last oil analysis by these folks, about the same time as yours, took months and not weeks. And, I get my results by email/website, not US mail.

That said, I really like their service and can even see the results of oil analyses when Mikey was a youngin', long before I had the plane. This last time was the only time I've had a significant delay in results so I just sent in another sample a week ago. I'm hoping it was a temporary glitch last time. Since Mikey has always had sterling analyses, I haven't worried about the delay. If the results start to show disturbing trends, I would probably be less patient.

Noah,

I have been having the same type of issue... Aviation Labs told me that my recent oil sample took about 1 month to arrive. My sample was sent in March and I didn't receive the results until early May... I had to call them to get the results published on their website.

I will try using Aviation Labs one more time to see if there is consistency in their time-frames. I can deal with one month, but not three (per your experience)!

Victor

My experience has been very similar...

I sent an oil sample in late November and received results in February. Aviations Labs blames USPS for slow delivery. This seems a little hard to believe, and a little frustrating given that part of the analysis kit price include mailing...and Aviation Labs suggests, instead, we pay UPS to ship the samples.

I just sent out another sample last week and am interested to see how long this takes to complete.

I called last week and asked to speak to the lab's manager about this, as I was trying to determine whether this was a one time issue, or whether I should take my business elsewhere. I left a voicemail with the manager, and never got a call back. So I called them again this AM and discussed the issue with the woman who answered the phone. It just seems that this place doesn't "get it". But I will give them one more shot and report my results here.

I don't know about the USPS delays, but the Blackstone sample cups get processed and reported on - via e-mail - in about a week...

That's from AZ to IN

Are you buying your kits from Aircraft Spruce? If so it might be worth a call to them, too, to alert them of the delays and poor customer service...

I don't know about the USPS delays, but the Blackstone sample cups get processed and reported on - via e-mail - in about a week...

That's from AZ to IN

Same here. I send my sample to Blackstone via USPS and I have the results back via email in about a week. I don't think it is a USPS problem.

Ditto on Blackstone

In 5 years of samples about every 3 months I've never had Blackstone labs take more that 2 weeks from the day I shipped it off. It's usually with a week. All of the shipments were little black bottles via the USPS..

I wouldn't blame the post office for this one. IMHO

Anybody experienced long delays getting results from Aviation Labs for oil analysis? ...Anybody else have any experience with these guys?

If this is Aviation Oil Analysis in Phoenix, put me on the list of dissatisfied customers. They have become slower and slower, starting back when they changed ownership a few years ago. My April 6 oil analysis is still not available a full month later.

Noah, I agree with your point about timely analysis and this doesn't cut it. I see you've flown a couple dozen times in the last 90 days!

Blaming it on the USPS is a cheap shot. This is the last time I'm dealing with those people.

--
Joe

This is a very timely discussion for me. I sent out 2 separate oil samples about 6 weeks ago. One sample was sent to Blackstone and the 2nd was sent to Aviation Labs. Both were mailed via the USPS at exactly the same time.

I received the report from Blackstone within a week via email. Still haven't heard anything from Aviation Labs.

All my future oil analyses will be performed by Blackstone.

Someone should use their normal shipping stuff....but add in USPS delivery tracking (or return receipt) to confirm how long it really takes for them to get. Then....let it sit, see if they blame the postal service in arrears, then call them on it (if they lie) armed with the delivery date.

Or, don't bother. But it could be amusing. :)

Almost 2 months for mine to come back (via web). They also blamed the USPS every single time I have called. The paper slip in the kit mentions that the USPS takes a long time and if you want answers faster to mail it using a different service.

Last one slow as well

I had my first 3 samples processed and back to me (via PDF email) within 2 weeks of shipping. The last one (In March) took over 5 weeks for results.

EDITED: I believe we are talking two different labs as noted below by the original poster "Noah". I have been dealing with AOA purchased from ACS here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/aoakit.php They have been great up until last submission.

I looked at the Blackstone Labs website after reading this thread and they have this at the bottom of their "Aircraft Sampling" page:

"Some post offices mistake oil samples for hazardous material. Oil is not hazardous material. Blackstone Laboratories' oil sample kit meets all postal requirements."

How are guys shipping the AOA samples? Are you mentioning the contents as oil? I merely put the container in the provided padded envelope and mail. I don't mention its contents or additional information. Curious if this might be adding to the problem, but I have had a delay as well.

Dan

Last edited:
I had my first 3 samples processed and back to me (via PDF email) within 2 weeks of shipping. The last one (In March) took over 5 weeks for results.

I looked at the Blackstone Labs website after reading this thread and they have this at the bottom of their "Aircraft Sampling" page:

"Some post offices mistake oil samples for hazardous material. Oil is not hazardous material. Blackstone Laboratories' oil sample kit meets all postal requirements."

How are guys shipping the AOA samples? Are you mentioning the contents as oil? I merely put the container in the provided padded envelope and mail. I don't mention its contents or additional information. Curious if this might be adding to the problem, but I have had a delay as well.

Dan

I just take the Blackstone black plastic container to the post office and ask "how much". It comes with a shipping label attached. I have the Blackstone letter in my pocket but it has never been questioned.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-letter.php

The only extra I do is to add a strip of reinforced packaging tape around the base of the screw on lid.

I thought it was just me. I sent a sample to them in late February and have not received results by email or mail yet. I sent them an email 2 weeks ago but have not gotten a response.

BLACKSTONE

I've been using blackstone for a number of years and it has never been more than ten days for a reply.....Dave

So What do They Say

I called Aviation labs and asked for the Manager. I had to leave a voice message and asked that he/she return my call. The manager, Mike, did call back and had a lady tech on tthe call with him. He said he was surprised by what I told him (complaints) and that he had a report in from of him that showed that 95%+ of samples are completed within 12 hours. I told him what matters is how long from the time the user sends in the sample to when the user is told the results.

I also explained to him that there are currently 7,600 Vans aircraft certified and that is growing at a rate of two per day. More VAN aircraft were certified in 2011 and Q1 2012 than single-engined general aviation aircraft sold in the same timeframe in the U.S. Plus I told him if we build them we are more likely to fly them than someone that bought a plane 5-15 years ago. So VAF members make up a significant potential market for them.

He asked me to send him the VAF inputs which I did.

It will be interesting to see what he says when I call him back on Friday. If you want to contact him directly his e-mail address is [email protected].

Ken,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of Aviation Labs... We all appreciate your efforts and look forward to the response from Aviation Labs.

Thanx again.

Victor

It's unfortunate, but yes they continue to blame the USPS even though other vendors don't have that problem. I've got 3 more of their kits at the hangar, and then I'm a Blackstone customer.

We use AOA in Phoenix, at least 10 times a month in our shop.
We put the sample canister in the provided padded envelope with 5 stamps and send it on its way. I usually have the report back by email within 4 business days.

Blackstone Labs

Another vote for Blackstone Labs.

They do the anaylsis for my vehicles and every sirplane I service. First Class USPS is less than $2 and I always have results and commentary in a matter of days.

Recent Experience

I changed my oil on 7/2/12 and sent a sample to AOA in a Priority Mail box on 7/5/12. Today, 7/12/12, I got an e-mail with the results. Perhaps the additional $5.50 investment in Priority Mail helped. I'm very satisfied with that turn-around time...

Aviation Laboratories

Man I just came across this thread and I too have been waiting now over 6 weeks for my results. Have been checking there website every couple of days. From now on I'm using someone else.

I changed my oil on 7/2/12 and sent a sample to AOA in a Priority Mail box on 7/5/12. Today, 7/12/12, I got an e-mail with the results. Perhaps the additional $5.50 investment in Priority Mail helped. I'm very satisfied with that turn-around time...

Yes... a Flat Rate Priority Mail Box will get your results back pretty quick. I actually called the Postmaster and they do hold the samples until they have a "full batch" to deliver. I guess the business reply rate has a lot to do with it. $5.15 spent and I get results in 3-4 days.

Same results with me. Av Labs takes forever. I'll try to find out how much it costs to sent via FEDX and add that to their cost. Thats one of my goals at KOSH, to find an alternative. I'll be looking at Blackstone as well. I've been using AvLabs for 8 years and I'm tired of waiting. Sometimes I don't get results unless I call them, even after waiting months. I sent my last sample in 10 days ago and don't expect to hear anything until fall. I usually buy a couple kits at OSH and SNF while I'm there. Time for a change......

Going on 60 days for me. You would think that these guys, knowing how unhappy their customers are, would not use a shipping service which adds several months of delay to their customer's experience, right? Just to save a buck or two, really? Methinks if they want to salvage their customer base, they need to include priority shipping, and they need to quickly post something like a downloadable priority post label on their website for those of us who already own a half dozen of their kits. Otherwise I am going to have to return mine to Spruce, since they are "defective"...

I sent my last analysis in around April 1st (2012). Still havent heard anything from them. I've pretty much written that sample off [and them, for that matter].

I've got a sample from my car oil change sitting on my kitchen counter [hey, I'm single! Where else would I keep an oil sample?] It will be going to Blackstone soon.

Last edited:
I just went to their new website. The new test kits now have FedEx shipping labels. If the problem really is the post office, this should resolve that problem.

Blackstone Labs Thumbs Up

I sent my sample to Blackstone last month by USPS and got my report via email in a week. I've been a satisfied customer for about seven years.

Dang. I wish I had noticed this thread on Monday, before I put the latest sample in the mail with their prepaid shipping label.

I sent my last sample in March, no word on that yet. I guess this one may get lost also.

Oil Sample.

Ive noticed in the last year it has been getting longer and longer to get back my oil sample from Aviation labs. At OSH 2011 I stopped by their booth and talked to them about this issue. The said it was the Post office that was causing the problem. I believe them. I have a few friends that work for the PO and the moral their is really bad. So I sent my last sample in from Fort Worth Tx to Kenner LA using their box with tracking. It cost $3.50. Sent 7/9 arrived Kenner LA 7/12. Received sample results Via Email Today 7/17. If you have any old sample boxes don't use their old First Class labels and you will have much better results. :)

I received my analysis report yesterday...

...for a sample I mailed in on May 11th. I called the lab in Kenner, LA and spoke with John Vacari. As many posters have noted, he blames the US mail system for the problem. This time, however, he informed me that Aviation Laboratories has switched to pre-paid mailing labels from Fed-Ex in lieu of those from the USPS. In addition, he has offered to send out new (Fed-Ex) labels to anyone who has purchased kits with the older USPS labels. These can be requested by calling the company. It is my understanding that the USPS labels will continue to "work" albeit with the same delivery problems so many of us are experiencing. I plan to take John up on his offer and give the lab one more chance.

Dean Pichon
Bolton, MA

Another vote for Blackstone

I've been using Blackstone for about 10 years now and have always had results within a week. With the advent of email, it is just a matter of days before I have a reply. They supply the kits at no charge. I leave a credit card on file and the cost is about $20 per sample.

I used the new FedEx shipping labels that I got at Oshkosh. Took 9 days to get the results back. Much better.

Mitch Garner

discussion at Oshkosh

I stopped by their booth and asked about a sample that I'd submitted in March or April. They gave the Post Office excuse and I flat called "BS". My wife has a home business and ships all kinds of packages all over the country using the Post Office and it rarely takes more than 4 days.

I told him I had even checked online to see if the analysis was posted and it was not. He called the office and someone said they had emailed me the results in June. He had the person resend the results, and I received them by email a few minutes later.

I later checked my email inbox and there was nothing there from them.

I think there are other things going on and they are using the Post Office as a scape goat. If a package shows up with the FedEX label they'll put it at the head of the line but I think they lost control of their process and won't admit it. I don't mind people make mistakes - heck, I've made hundreds of them. But I don't like people (or companies) that shift the blame onto someone else.

I send a sample to Blackstone and had results in a few days. They have my business now. I even have a couple of sampling kits from Av Labs if anyone at Hicks T67 wants them.

Interesting that the Blackstone pre-printed USPS labels work like a charm but the Aviation Labs USPS labels don't. I agree that Aviation Labs has some other problem that they are attempting to push off on the Post Office.

I am a long time happy Blackstone customer.

I have used Aviation LABs for my last 6 samples.
I sent each sample to them vis UPS. Not USPS.
I received my analisys within one week of shipment each time.

I am in the packaging business (30 years)and I ship all over the US.

Due to past experiences we only ship via Fed Ex or UPS. No USPS

Some areas of the country do not experience delays in USPS shipments but may experience extremely bad service and delays.

If you want prompt service ship Fed Ex or UPS

I have used Aviation LABs for my last 6 samples.
I sent each sample to them vis UPS. Not USPS.
I received my analisys within one week of shipment each time.

I am in the packaging business (30 years)and I ship all over the US.

Due to past experiences we only ship via Fed Ex or UPS. No USPS

Some areas of the country do not experience delays in USPS shipments but may experience extremely bad service and delays.

If you want prompt service ship Fed Ex or UPS

I think the problem was that Aviation Labs was sending pre-paid USPS labels with the kit, so naturally, that is what everyone used. It sounds like maybe they have switched to Fed Ex. I pretty much switched to USPS when I was building my airplane and getting lots of shipments. Never had any problems with Fed Ex or UPS, but have had consistently great service with USPS at prices that are usually good. The kits I got from Blackstone had pre-paid USPS shipping labels and I have always received my report within a week or so. I also disposed of a shotgun collection that belonged to my late father-in-law and found that shipping long guns through USPS is much easier and less costly than Fed Ex or UPS.

I too have had problems with Av Labs. So I just ordered one of the blackstone kits, I also asked them to look at this thread and see if they had any comments. Here's the reply I received:

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the heads up on the thread. I was going to post but I'm not a pilot and I didn't know the answers to the "prove you're not a spambot" questions!

It's true that the post office can take a while. Sometimes we'll get tubs of mail that are all from California, or all from Texas, so I know they sometimes hold on to samples until they get a batch to send through. But it's not a chronic problem, or it shouldn't be. It's fairly rare for the post office to take several months to deliver a sample. Tracking samples is the best way to go because then you can tell for sure whether it's the post office or the lab that's slowing you down.

Sincerely,

Kristin Huff
Blackstone Labs

Last edited:
Same USPS distribution center?

Interesting that the Blackstone pre-printed USPS labels work like a charm but the Aviation Labs USPS labels don't. I agree that Aviation Labs has some other problem that they are attempting to push off on the Post Office.

Is Blackstone in southwest Louisiana? If not, I don't think the difference you cite means anything. I've had my last two samples with Aviation Labs take many months to come back and I've been skeptical of the post office excuse. But, I talked with them at Oshkosh and I have to admit that I believe it might just be a problem with the USPS in their region. A.L. said they have been regularly working with the IG on the issue. If that is all true, and I think it may be, I hope the IG nails some civil servants who clearly aren't doing their jobs. A.L. gave me a UPS (or Fed Ex?) label for my last, remaining kit. If I get prompt service the next time, I'll probably stick with them. If there is one more unreasonable delay, they'll have loss my business.

Today makes 10 weeks since I sent my last sample to Aviation Labs, without a report. It is the last sample I will be sending them. This coming weekend I'll be changing oil again and it's going to Blackstone.

Early June I sent my sample to AL. After about 4 weeks and after watching this thread for some time I decided to give them a call to get a status report. When I called they said that the report had been emailed out almost two weeks prior. They re-sent the report and within an hour I had it. I don't remember getting any previous email from them but perhaps my spam filter took it out. Anyway I would give them a call before giving up on them. It might just be something simple.

YMMV - Bill

I sent them an email asking what was up. They guy called me on my cell and explained. I got the new labels from AvLab. My results were returned within 10 days. If you call them, they will send you the new labels. I asked for and received two labels (I have one box left).

Well, I finally got my results yesterday 14 weeks after sending it. They said they received the sample a month ago (4 wks to process??). I had a long telephone discussion with their top guy about 6 weeks ago and discussed this thread. He was well aware of it. I invited him to personally sign onto VAF and comment on the problems they are having and what they intended to do to resolve them. At that time, he said they had abandoned USPS and were using a more reliable shipper (Fedex IIRC). When I asked what they were doing with people like me who had bought a half dozen kits with USPS labels, he said they would charge $4 to "upgrade" the kits to the new shipping service. I did not think this was a fair deal and said so. It appears that they have changed their tune, I received the following email from them today:

[FONT=&quot]Hi Noah,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I became aware of a post on the VAF blog that questioned the delivery of your analysis kits. Please accept our apologies on behalf of the USPS ? the delays are frustrating and we have no reason not to perform your oil analysis. There have been multiple closings with distribution and processing centers in the Louisiana area, particularly New Orleans.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To combat these delays, in March we introduced a program that includes Fedex Smart Post labels in our oil analysis kits. This is a dependable, traceable delivery to our lab ? averaging 5-7 days to reach our lab.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any remaining kits in stock I would like upgrade the shipping in those kits @ no charge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I look forward to hearing from you![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Danny Trader[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Customer Service Representative[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5401 Mitchelldale, Ste B6[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Houston[/FONT][FONT=&quot], TX 77092[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ph. 713-864-6677[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fx. 713-864-6990[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.avlab.com[/FONT]

I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

what makes an 'Aviation' Lab? oil & bearings aren't unique

I sent my last sample to a nearby lab. ....Post office got it there in one day.
got the e-mailed results the next day!
BTA labs ( Kamloops BC, $15-20 pre-paid kit, one-way mail label.) does analysis on million-dollar mining equipment, and is there on the phone if I have a question about a result.
Surely many small labs have pretty decent equipment to assess the oil in our Lycosaurs ( even semi-sythetic etc. is not new to them!)

Back