What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A little different take on Nose vs. Tail

How woud you describeyour landing gear choice?

• Built an A model and would do it again

Votes: 75 37.9%
  • Built an A model and wish I had a TD

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Built an A model and converted to TD

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Built a TD and would do it again

Votes: 99 50.0%
  • Built a TD and wish I had an A model

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Built a TD and converted to A model

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tjo

Well Known Member
This is my first poll, so hopefully it works. I was just interested in the numbers of people who were happy with their choices vs. the ones who wanted, or did, change.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there should be options for "bought a..." as some of us didn't build our RV's. Since there isn't, I went with the "built a..." choice instead.

You need an option for us 10, and 12 folks.

"Only came with a nose wheel, but wish it has a tail wheel."

Poll

Good job on the poll. No poll is perfect, so no worries.

All polls give us information.

Information is useful.

I am perfectly happy with my nose wheel and would do it again the same way. The next airplane will be a taildragger; more because it will be easier to build than anything else.

Honestly, I can't tell which end the little wheel is on once i'm airborne.

With over 3000 RV hrs I have had the privilege to fly every RV model in every configuration with the exception of the RV3.

NOSE WHEEL OR TAIL DRAGGER, I NEVER FLEW AN RV I DID NOT LIKE!

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Interesting, it is confirming about what I thought.

I am thinking I am going to go TD, but my wife is thinking nose. Luckily my instructor was at the FBO tonight when we were there and he, with no prompting from me, helped my cause in a conversation with her. She is going to start flight training here in a couple of weeks and I think she may even consider doing some time in a cub. At least I hope so...

Tim

She is going to start flight training here in a couple of weeks and I think she may even consider doing some time in a cub. At least I hope so...
See if you can find a school that will do all of her training in a Cub, Champ, Citabria, Cessna 120/140, etc.

Snowflake, yes our local FBO will do all training in a Cub up to cross countries. The Cub has no transponder and it's the only TD that they have. The other cool thing about the Cub is, lack of flaps means learning to slip from very early on in training. I am optimistic that I can get her to go this route.

Tim

Interesting. So far, the results over all models:

The original build split is roughly 50/50
Almost all (99%+) TD builders are happy with the choice.
20% to 25% of the A builders would either prefer, or have converted to, TD.
It would seem that the overall preference is a 60%TD/40%A model split.

Hmmm.

Tim

I've built both, an RV-6 and a RV-8A. How do I vote? I wish I had a RV-3 and a RV-10. But in the meantime, I LOVE my RV.

I've built both, an RV-6 and a RV-8A. How do I vote? I wish I had a RV-3 and a RV-10. But in the meantime, I LOVE my RV.

If it's what you wanted, I would say either of the "... would do it again categories".

Tim

Built a tail dragger, and would do it again.

The final decision for me on nose vs tail came down to advice from my 12 year old Son who said: "Dad, the tail dragger just looks Cooler than the one with the wheel in the front"

I had to agree, and built accordingly.

Greg, Louisville KY
N773PF
256 hrs:

Back