What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs dominate Alberta Rally

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
We just completed the first annual Harvard Airberta rally, featuring about 35 pilot entries flying to 24 different airports in Alberta over the last 4 days. At the wrap up ceremony that was hosted in the hangar that I park in (I was a participant, not an organizer), there were identified 5 pilots who managed to hit all 24 airports. I was one of them and 3 of the remaining 4 had also used an RV for their flights. The other RV participant in the rally missed out on the whole set by a single airport.

My own flying for this rally had me log 14.5 hours of air time over 28 flights to the 24 airports, all in a 53 hour period. I covered 1,825 NM in total which is enough that I could have reached Florida or Russia. This was more fun.

The plane held up quite well and among other things this served as a very good education in a landing technique that works across a wide variety of situations. The airports included 3 grass strips and one of those was a mountain strip at 5,350' MSL. Here is a picture of me landing at Red Deer Forestry strip (CFR7).

C-GCPT-CFR7-01-1280.jpg

And this is a map of my routes.

airberta.png

This will be annual event and I'm looking forward to doing it next year with more pilots and more destinations.

Hi Claude,

Congrats to the organizers and participants. I was watching some of the planes on flightradar24 from time-to-time while I toiled at my desk. Work interfered with my plan to join you this year but I'm hoping my schedule will permit me to participate next year.

All the best.

Colin

BTW Nice landing attitude at Red Deer Foresty strip.

Hi Claude,

BTW Nice landing attitude at Red Deer Foresty strip.

I really didn't think that I was holding that nose up that well when I landed. I was quite pleased when I got the picture sent to me. This was only my second ever grass landing, it felt a little rough. My next 2 grass landings, over the next few hours, improved each time.

Back