What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Back Seat Instruments

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Considering the GRT Mini GA EFIS in the back seat of my RV-8. GRT makes a remote air data module (connect to air lines) that can be installed behind the panel and then wired to the back seat display so no running pitot/static lines to the back. The back seater would have indicated airspeed & altitude, a good ADI, synthetic vision, moving map and with the addition of some type of mount, all the approach stuff on an IPAD. I have both Garmin & Dynon ADSB-in which transmit via WiFi or Bluetooth for wx & tfc sent to an EFB.

According to the GRT MIni GA manual it can also input and display VOR/ILS approach data from an SL-30.

Comments on this setup or what have you done?

Anyone have a GRT Mini GA?

Last edited:
GRT Android

Easiest thing is to get the Bluetooth dongle and use their app to drive an old android tablet. Works great, no wires, little weight, and totally removable!

Easiest thing is to get the Bluetooth dongle and use their app to drive an old android tablet. Works great, no wires, little weight, and totally removable!

Is that Bluetooth, or WiFi? I'm planning on doing just that. I've ordered a 7" 1,000 nit "sunlight readable" Android tablet made by a company called Xenarc in California.

I installed a full G3x touch system in a buddies -8, including a 7"screen in the rear. Everyone that rides in it loves the fact that they can see everything that's going on including radios, weather, engine, etc. Not cheap, but worth it for the Mrs And relatively easy to install. Power, ground, can, and weather from the GTX 345.

Back