What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider stop

Docbru

Does anyone have a good way to hold the slider canopy part way closed on an RV 8? When I'm fully strapped in it is hard to reach all the way back to grab the slider if it is fully open. Sometimes I can get it to stay partway closed but usually it slides back to the fully open position. ( Did a search on this topic with no luck.) Thanks.

I also have the flyboys canopy stop. It works pretty well, but it did require quite a bit of sanding to get it to fit right. Vans also offers a canopy stop fwiw.

On the 8A I used the spring loaded pin latch from Avery Tools (I have not found anyone currently selling it). I?ve flown an RV-8 with the catch discussed above and while it works, I just don?t like it.

I had a buddy make me another spring loaded pin latch for the new RV-8. The pin gets mounted on the left rail between the weldment legs for the front seat back support (so the rear passenger will not hit it when getting in). The spring holds the pin in so when you open the canopy it will slide back half way and stop. On the other latch it just keeps on going. I found this to be a real PITA.

Carl

Retractable Spring Plunger

Does anyone have a good way to hold the slider canopy part way closed on an RV 8?

I spent fifteen bucks and installed a retractable spring plunger from McMaster-Carr. Part number 8480A1. I'm unable to display the image directly from McMaster-Carr's web site but it looks a lot like this:
GN-717-Indexing-plungers-hand-retractable-spring.jpg_350x350.jpg

I drilled one hole in the canopy rail to allow the canopy to be held about 6 inches open (for taxiing or parking in the sun) but could have drilled multiple holes for multiple positions.

Rod Bower did, I believe still does, offer a similar unit to the McMaster Carr unit including an aluminum bracket for attachment.

I replaced my spring type system as it was a real PITA like a previous post.

I went with the slider from Vince.

The side benefit is the back seater can latch it whilst I taxi after landing in this Florida 84 degee weather this time a year :D

Back