What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to identify an adhesive but dont know what it is..

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I am not sure what this substance is, but I have seen it used as a means for holding things temporarily in place.

The most common use I've seen for it is sticking a credit card to a piece of paper when you get a new one from the bank. I've also seen it used to stick unpacking instructions to cardboard or to plastic.

The adhesive is meant to be able to be removed easily and doesn't stain or damage the surfaces. It looks as if it might be machine applied, possibly hot

Anyone know what this substance is?

I think I answered it myself right after posting. 3M Gummy Glue which is applied hot. Apparently it is also referred to as "Booger glue"

Doesn't the standard hot glue set hard? I'm looking for something that is very pliable when it sets. Something that can be stuck and un-stuck and then re-stuck again.

Try Glue Dots.

We've used it on some Bible correspondence course material at our church and I think it will answer your needs.

I Googled "removable adhesive used on credit cards." It's available at Amazon, WalMart, Office Depot.

And a similar material is a 3M stick for hot glue guns, but I can't say I've used that product.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If you go with Glue Dots, I can offer a method for application. It can be real frustrating to remove it from the product card for application on your object. Only remove the glue dot backing material from ONE backing and then apply it to your object. THEN remove the remaining backing. When you try it, this will make sense. And if you find a better way, please report back to us. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Don. My wife just got back from Michael's and has a box of Glue Dots with her. It seems to be exactly the stuff. She also has something called Zots which look like they'll come off the backing easier.

Go to Michaels or any big craft store and get the dots designed to mount photos in albums. You can get varying degrees of stickiness. They work great!

Edit: Of course, Gil, that's exactly what you said in the previous post, now that I actually read it. Glad they're working for you. :)

application?

Just curious, what do you plan to do with it? (I see the potential for a good tip.)

I think I answered it myself right after posting. 3M Gummy Glue which is applied hot. Apparently it is also referred to as "Booger glue"

Yep, that's what my kids called it, as they were peeling it off paper and sticking it above their lip.

Just curious, what do you plan to do with it? (I see the potential for a good tip.)

I actually have a few things. Right now I am using it to stick an LED strip under the emp fairing so I can backlight the holes for drilling. (it worked very nicely) I also intend to use them to place cable anchors until I can determine the final loacation. I am sure I'll find other uses as well.

Back