What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for an RV-4 in the Oakville/Toronto area

C-GTDP

A friend of mine is thinking of flying commercial out from Toronto to Vancouver to accompany me in an RV4 ferry flight back to Ontario. He is a non pilot and was concerned it may be a little claustrophobic. Was wondering if there was anyone in the Toronto/Oakville area with a 4 that he could sit in and get a level of comfort? He is about 5'11" and 185lbs. Thanks

RV-4 Ferry Flight

Russ,

I am about the same size as your buddy and unless the RV-4 has rear seat footwells he will not be very comfortable after about 45 mins. I did a 2 hop back seat RV-4 flight (no footwells) when I bought mine and I was more than ready to get out for good at the first fuel stop (~1 1/2 hours).

Now if the -4 has rear seat footwells that's another animal altogether. I installed rear footwells this past winter and everyone that rides has no complaints now. It makes a huge difference in passenger comfort. Hopefully he can try on a -4 for size. From the RV white pages it looks like there are 12 RV-4s in Ontario province. If he is going to fly roughly 2,000 (Vancouver to Toronto) miles without back seat footwells at his size he will not be a happy camper unless you guys swap seats each leg but since he is not a pilot I think that won't work either.

Even the front seat is not the most roomy cockpit but with good seats (DJ from Cleaveland Tool made mine) you can fly a long way but I don't think I'd ever get in the back of a -4 again unless it's a short flight.

Oly

Last edited:
RV-4 Ferry Flight

Concur with Oly 100%.

Also keep in mind your weight and balance and C of G.
As you burn off fuel your C of G moves aft and you have to think about your trim.

Just adding my two cents in. Have a good trip.

Back