Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Preparing for Cross Countries

I've been reading the thread on the weather and the go-no go decision with interest. I just started Phase I tests and am really looking forward to those cross countries.

On my second test flight I had problems transmitting on my panel mounted com, and the handheld radio I had with me made this a non-issue. In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell13 View Post
I've been reading the thread on the weather and the go-no go decision with interest. I just started Phase I tests and am really looking forward to those cross countries.

On my second test flight I had problems transmitting on my panel mounted com, and the handheld radio I had with me made this a non-issue. In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John
My airplane does not leave the airport traffic pattern without the following:
Tool Kit (with 1 spare spark plug and hardware)
Tie Down Rings
Tie Dow Rope
1-quart of oil (I will buy oil before I use my qt but have it in case there is none for sale)
Minimal first aid kit
2-space blankets
Ka-Bar 2000 is in tool kit

My long cross-country flying I always keep in my mind what the Basic VFR requirements are. If Wx drops to minimum VFR, have a plan (or two) to divert including a 180 to nearest airport. Know how to use the Nearest feature on the GPS and your backup GPS. Know how to get airport info for the unplanned airport out of your book, map, EFB, and or GPS.

I use my IFR approach certified for primary navigation. I use the VOR in the SL30 always tuned to a VOR somewhere ahead of my flight. I also have a backup 396 handheld GPS. I know how to get airport info from both GPS units and out of the iPad / iPhone / EFB.

When it comes to X/C flight, my friends know me as "Chicken" and I like that because I do not want to be know as "Dead Duck".

The more X/C flying you do, you will get a "gut" feeling and know when not to go. If you do go take a look, DO NOT fly in conditions that are NOT VFR unless you are IFR rated, proficient, and cleared to by ATC. Always be ready to divert even if that means a 180. If conditions are less than perfect, never let your fuel level go below 1/2.

Know how to use Flight Watch. If you have multiple radios, keep 122.0 tuned on the spare at all times. With the SL30 as comm 2, I always am listening to 121.5 and 122.0.

If you do not like the way Wx looks in front of you, the 180 back to the airport behind you may be the safest thing.

Time to Spare, go by Air.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 03-20-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM

That's well thought out Gary. Has your plane ever needed major repairs on a cross country?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

I carry enough tools to do some basic repair (almost a duplicate of Gary, above), but the only time I've ever had to do any work on the aircraft while on the road was to solder an antenna lead.

There is plenty of merit to bringing survival gear, but again, this depends a lot on the terrain you're flying over. I fly a lot over the open desert where a survivable forced landing is highly probable, but exposure before someone finds us is the primary consideration. If I flew where I was never more than a few miles from population, my survival gear would even be lighter. This is a highly personal choice.

But above all, keep in mind the fact that the airplane does not know the difference between 3 hours in the pattern or 3 hours in one direction. And even if you DO break out of town, there is a very good possibility someone will be around to help. The point is, I don't think you need to pack like you're going to spend 30 days in the Yukon for a simple weekend trip to the next state.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowell13 View Post
In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John
Hi John,

Probably hundreds of posts about this and as many opinions as there are pilots. I can't carry a spare everything but I do carry basic tools, tie-downs/straps, chocks, one spark plug, one fuel tank cap, quart of oil, and some misc. hardware. When the flight dictates, I add my survival vest/gear. When going into backcountry airstrips, the ability to repair a flat tire is a really good thing but so far keeping my fingers crossed has worked.
http://jdfinley.com
Videos
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM

if you can carry it safely bring it, you wount need it then.

have done a number of minor repairs that kept me overnight but the wx was much better the next day.

xc flying is what you will remember at the end of the season. go out of your comfort zone once in a while.

Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Survival gear appropriate to the geography beneath you - a good idea.

A PLB that sends your exact GPS coordinates to SAR forces via satellite? Even a BETTER idea! You won't have time to play with all your neat survival gear....

In the tools department, think "tasks", and the most likely tasks are to fix a flat tire and to poke around under the cowl - I make sure I have what I need to remove wheel pants and the cowl. Beyond that, in today's world, a good cell phone and an internet connection to call the VAF cavalry will probably get you fixed just about anywhere in the US. Being able to pull the cowl off so that you know what the problem is will help.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerDaisy View Post
.....one fuel tank cap.....
Great idea Jon. I have an RV friend at Venice that almost had to scrub a x-c flight when a fuel cap pin broke. He borrowed mine for a few days. Better than duck tape

Gonna order another one tomorrow.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPalinkas View Post
Great idea Jon. I have an RV friend at Venice that almost had to scrub a x-c flight when a fuel cap pin broke. He borrowed mine for a few days. Better than duck tape .
This guy made pretty good use of the old "duck tape"

http://www.usmra.com/photos/duct_plane/
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM

This might help

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=comfort+zone