What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00041 released: HIC module electrical connection inspection

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Service Bulletin SB-00041 has been released today for the RV-12iS. It covers the inspection and assessment of a wire harness connection to the HIC module, which is located behind the instrument panel. The inspection is to be carried out before further flight, and then again at each condition inspection until the available kit has been installed, or replacement parts (available in the future) have been installed.

A kit is available that can be used to address the problem described in the SB document if the results of the documented test procedure indicate it is necessary to do so. This is a CALL TO ORDER item, for a couple of reasons:
  1. We need the owner to perform the steps and verify with our tech support team that an issue is, in fact, addressable with the available kit.
  2. A limited supply of these kits is available and it is intended for installation only on flying aircraft, where the issue described in the SB document has been confirmed to exist in operation. Van's will not ship this kit to owners with aircraft where the symptoms have not been verified by our support team.
In addition, Van's will be releasing a new HIC module in the future, which incorporates a new design that will address the issue covered in this service bulletin. That new HIC module and any related parts will be provided as a replacement to customers with potentially affected kits/flying aircraft which contain the affected HIC module when the new module becomes available.

Last edited:
Good to see this one finally published and it's a "before further flight". I know nobody likes "before further flights", but this one really is important -- so bring your hex wrenches and screwdriver to the hangar next visit!

Here's a direct link to the part of my video where I'm grasping the wires to check the connections (a rather severe case example):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNY7R6lCk8w&t=114s

(keep in mind that it was filmed before this SB was released and the procedure may have changed. Follow the published SB.)

If anyone wants to consider a trick to simplify installation of the HIC module without using those short 6-32 screws, you might consider this. It worked great for me. Just cut a pair of 2” long 6-32 screws in half and removed the heads to make 6-32 threaded rods. You may have to dress the threads on the cut ends. Simplifies installation of the module, and more importantly, uses nuts instead of screws to secure it. 3/4” long hex spacers worked great for securing it.

Attachments

• 9414F549-5B63-40AA-B9B7-00E4C18587D2.jpg
    9414F549-5B63-40AA-B9B7-00E4C18587D2.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 3AF29FB9-ABDD-4FF1-A5CC-A8C7C562A6C7.jpg
    3AF29FB9-ABDD-4FF1-A5CC-A8C7C562A6C7.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 191
  • AD09A0B4-AE8E-4242-8BD6-A8E704B4C5ED.jpg
    AD09A0B4-AE8E-4242-8BD6-A8E704B4C5ED.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 198
  • D37C41C1-F7D8-4E18-8FEB-FD59AEF770AD.jpg
    D37C41C1-F7D8-4E18-8FEB-FD59AEF770AD.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 172
Hal Provo at KSZP was having the same problems in his 2018 built RV-12 iS with this connector, since April or May of 2021. He finally identified the problem in Sept, had another "loom" of wire leaning against this loom and causing the problems at the connector.

It was affecting the ignition switch and the ability of the engine to start in his plane. After talking back and forth with Van's, they sent him the connector and pins sometime in October, I think, with instructions.

Spent 4 or so months back and forth with Van's, but glad to see this update.

Last edited:
Back