What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

potential new builder looking for local advise (west side Houston area)

lipper03

Builder RV14A & ZA750SD
Benefactor
Hey all, I'm a potential new builder looking to get local advise. I live in Fulshear, west of Houston. Reached out to a few of you from the eaabuilder site, and joined here on a recommendation. Hopefully I can make the next third weekend lunch to meet some of you.

I currently own a Piper Dakota over at IWS (West Houston), and have been thinking about a second aircraft. I've been looking and researching for months, and I keep coming back to building an RV-14. Something that's a bit more of a fun aircraft, and think I like the idea of building my own (an at home hobby that's part of my flying hobby).

I've never built an aircraft before, so want to talk and potentially see some of the local builds to get a feel for if it's really for me.

I have cleaned up my garages, and got the plans for the 14. Also have some practice kits from Vans. I also just signed up for the December metal working EAA class near Waco. So starting to do more than just web surfing, just not quite ready to buy more tools and order a kit yet.

Anyway, again will glad to get to know some of you and learn as much as I can. Appreciate the help and advise!

Brian
Fulshear, TX
PA-28-236 (IWS)
Potential RV-14 build

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on the right track. Building an RV is big investment in time and money, and it's not for everyone. Going to a build school is an excellent start. The school gives you a jump start on the necessary knowledge & skills--and it's a pretty good barometer of how inclined you are to build. Some come away from a school thinking, "I ain't going through all of that!" There's your sign. But others will come away chomping at the bit eager to get started with their RV.

The practice kits are absolutely an easy and expensive way to get started without risking damaging genuine airplane parts. And by all means, get involved with local RV people. There are gazillions of them in the Houston area, and another big gaggle up in Conroe. Plenty of help and opinions (kind of like the VAF).

Brian,

Welcome to the world of Experimental Aircraft!

If you want to talk to a large number of Van's RV builders and see a number of completed and in-progress planes, suggest you join us at an EAA 302 meeting in Conroe. EAA 302 is a very large and very active chapter, which meets on the second Saturday morning of the month.

While I know it is a long drive from Fulshear, it is about the same distance/time as from Sugar Land where I live. There are a couple other EAA 302 members also in Sugar Land, and we will sometimes carpool to the meeting. Of course you can also fly into the meeting since it is on the airport.

Take a look at EAA302.org for more information. (Note that our chapter website is undergoing a complete re-work right now, so there may be a few glitches.)

Cheers,
Dave M

I just signed up for the EAA sheet metal class on 12/4/21. Is that the same one you are going to?

I'm in a similar situation in Georgetown, TX. I went ahead and ordered the empennage (today). I'm now working on getting my garage in order, tables built and tools ordered.

The Sportair workshop is a good call IMO. I did the sheetmetal one before starting my build and came out of it with a lot more confidence that riveting wasn't some black art that only a select few could master.

You already mentioned the regular lunches, but so you know the next one will be at my hangar at Sport Flyers, where you can get plenty of time to look closely at a build in progress while peppering us all with questions. I'd be more than happy to have you.

Wow, Tyson I’m wanting to do a little more homework, but good for you. Yes the dec 4th is the one I’m going to. Maybe meeting some of the local folks, I can get some more pointers and possibly a shot at some of my practice projects before I buy tools and order metal. Though I did clean out the garage, something I’ve been meaning to do for awhile!

Last edited:
You're welcome to come see my projects anytime. I have a flying RV-7 and a couple of taildraggers in various states of disarray. I'm in Waller. I've got some scraps in a bucket somewhere too if you want to practice riveting.

Back