What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line from fuse to tank question

vinzer

Well Known Member
I would like to ask how you guys routed your fuel line from fuse to wing tank.
While browsing other builders logs I saw two common solutions:

1. Aluminum fuel line goes from fuse through the rubber bushing, bends 90 and 90 outside and basically connects to fuel tank. This is how plans call it.

2. Another way is to install 90 degrees AN fitting in the fuselage hole and then use similar 90 deg bend line outside to connect to tank.
See my picture.

Question: will (2) be safe method in terms of all vibrations etc ? I understand that wing will vibrate and rubber bushing technically compensate all that while 90 deg AN fitting allows no flex thus may cause micro cracks ?

What do you think ?
Thank you!

Attachments

• AN_fitting_for_fuel.jpg
    AN_fitting_for_fuel.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 148
I suggest, as with all fuel line runs, you limit the number of 90 degree fittings as close to zero as possible.

What I did:
- I installed a 45 degree fitting on each side of the tunnel, the angle part on the inside pointed in a way that made bending the fuel lines to the Andair fuel valve as easy as possible. Trying to make the fuel line from the tank all one run is just too hard.
- The line from this fitting to the tank is one run, through the fuselage grommet.

You might end up with a few feet of 3/8" tubing in the scrap pile, but once done it is good to go.

Carl

Thank you for your recommendations.
I will review TS Flightlines website to see what I may use in my setup ;)

Do not insert any more 90-degree fittings than necessary. I have 0 (no) 90 degree fittings between my tank and fuel selector valve. I have one straight coupling under the seat pan. It's easy to fabricate the aluminum tubing and it's cheap to try numerous times. I had fuel fluctuation issues during climb when I had two 90 deg. fittings installed. They went away when the fitting were removed.

I "thirds" recommend T S Flightlines. I have a nice flexible that makes the transition from the valve to wing root.
danny

Their websites have had wobbles recently, but as they are working together, this one works with contact details

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/

Mike and All,

The websites have been in a state of flux for a bit as we have been working on combining and simplifying the web ordering interface.

As of a few days ago, the TSFlightlines website started redirecting to our joint website.

Also, Tom and I are working on focusing on the officially combined branding of Aircraft Specialty Flightlines. This will allow builders to know us by one name as well as go to one central website with online ordering and joint contact information.

We have also greatly simplified the ordering of different component kits by bundling the most common packages together so it will no longer be necessary for builders to have to piece together multiple ala carte packages.

As we go through this process, we always welcome feedback and suggestions.

Steve and Tom

+1 Aircraft Specialty LLC

They do a great job for the community. I messed up a clocking and needed a different angled fitting (2 out of 6 hoses) and they fixed my error pro bono. Plus there hoses look great !!

Back