Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2022, 05:47 PM

Default Garmin G3X/GTN database install instructions

How do I install downloaded G3X and GTN databases into the panel mount devices.

I am thinking that there must be something unique to installing the databases as the data for both the G3X system and the GTN650 are both on the same SD card.

Can't find anywhere in the reams of Garmin Support listings.

The listing I found entitled "Downloading databases to my panel mount device" provided the instructions for downloading the databases from the Garmin Databases web site onto the SD card, not onto the devices. I have the instructions for installing the System Software and have done that a few times.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
FF 11/24/21; Phs 1 completed
Contribution made 12/9/21 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
Old 01-27-2022, 05:56 PM

Use a separate, empty SD card each for G3X and GTN. Download the updates to each card. Then one at a time, insert into the MFD and power on…updates from there. Then do PFD, then the GTN using the GTN specific card. Once finished if you have the older GTN-xxx, insert an SD card that contains as a minimum the Terrain data base. If you use Flightcharts on the GTN they are stored on the card as well. All other databases reside internally to the GTN.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2022 Donation

Last edited by Tom023 : 01-28-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:26 PM

The GTN requires the SD card to remain in it to function. The G3X does not. The GTN Xi series does NOT require the SD card to remain in the unit.

Easiest way to manage this is to buy two SD Cards. 8 GB, Sandisk, FAT32 formatted is ideal. Copy the G3X databases to one, insert the card in the G3X as it boots, and after the update, you can remove the card.. Put the GTN databases on another card, and leave the card in the GTN..
Old 01-28-2022, 10:50 AM

Default Database Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
How do I install downloaded G3X and GTN databases into the panel mount devices.

I am thinking that there must be something unique to installing the databases as the data for both the G3X system and the GTN650 are both on the same SD card.

Can't find anywhere in the reams of Garmin Support listings.

The listing I found entitled "Downloading databases to my panel mount device" provided the instructions for downloading the databases from the Garmin Databases web site onto the SD card, not onto the devices. I have the instructions for installing the System Software and have done that a few times.
Page 35-201 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual provides guidance for updating databases on the G3X Touch.

Page 18-11 of the GTN Pilots Guide provides guidance for updating databases on the GTN 650/750.

You will want to use separate cards for both the GTN 650 and G3X Touch.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Default …and

…and the gtn is pretty fickle about the card format. I ended up using an ancient laptop and windoze to do a low level format for the first time. I did not have much luck using parallels on my Mac. Very strange.

Once you get the card formatted though, it works great.

RV-10
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-28-2022, 01:46 PM

For the GTN, put the SD card with the new database in the card slot BEFORE you power up the GTN. When you do power it up, it will ask you if you want to update the database(s).

My GTN came with a Garmin labeled SD card. I always use that card in the GTN.

For the G3X, insert the card in the the slot AFTER power up. You will get be prompted to confirm you want to install the databases.

The G3X update can take 15 minutes or more. It depends on how many charts you update. When I do the download, I only select charts for the region I will fly in during the next 28 days - not the whole country.

Hint: If you have a dual screen set-up, download the update to 2 SD cards. That way you can update both screen at the same time.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 01-28-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
For the GTN, put the SD card with the new database in the card slot BEFORE you power up the GTN. When you do power it up, it will ask you if you want to update the database(s).

My GTN came with a Garmin labeled SD card. I always use that card in the GTN.

For the G3X, insert the card in the the slot AFTER power up. You will get be prompted to confirm you want to install the databases.

The G3X update can take 15 minutes or more. It depends on how many charts you update. When I do the download, I only select charts for the region I will fly in during the next 28 days - not the whole country.

Hint: If you have a dual screen set-up, download the update to 2 SD cards. That way you can update both screen at the same time.
I have the entire North American subscription to jepps and the updates never take more than a minute or two. G3X touch system.

RV-10
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!

Old 01-28-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I have the entire North American subscription to jepps and the updates never take more than a minute or two. G3X touch system.
My non-touch G3X takes 20 minutes per screen (12 seconds for every 1% upload), 99% of which is Garmin IFR FliteCharts. Airport directory, Nav data, obstacles, and safe taxi combined take less than a minute.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 01-28-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
My non-touch G3X takes 20 minutes per screen (12 seconds for every 1% upload), 99% of which is Garmin IFR FliteCharts. Airport directory, Nav data, obstacles, and safe taxi combined take less than a minute.
Wow, sounds like a huge processor performance difference!

RV-10
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!

Old 01-29-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Wow, sounds like a huge processor performance difference!
I think the difference is Garmin charts vs Jepp. I have G3X touch and it takes about 20 minutes also. I only do the Southeast and Texas most of the time.
Jacksonville, FL