What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John Deakin - Gone West at 81

RV10inOz

Well Known Member
It is with enormous sadness I bring the news of one of natures greatest gentlemen has departed the living, and may he rest in peace.

Just over a year ago I lost a great mate, Walter. This year, another year of all this Covid madness, means once more I have not been able to be with and visit some of the most important people in my life.

Leisa and I were blessed to Face Time with JD a few days ago. He struggled through a few minutes, came out of the blocks hard and smiled like never before when I suggested his local Waypoint Cafe malted chocolate milkshake would fix him up.

I am so blessed to have had John Deakin in my life. I will be bold enough to say everyone on BT will no doubt share the same feelings.

To Tamiko and the boys, our condolences. JD, we love you to bits mate.

You were and forever will be ..... a legend.

That is sad news. Dedicated aviator, author and researcher. I never meet him but, did exchange a few emails and read his articles.

RIP John Deakin

Just rediscovered this. Contains a few really close friends, John Deakin and Walter Atkinson who died a year ago, and Tom Gresham (still alive and well).

I wish I could find the whole series, and I am hitting Gresham up for it.

I hope you all enjoy a trip down memory lane.

https://youtu.be/gfD0IwLnBuw

Sad to lose the man and his huge knowledge base. He educated a lot of pilots with his writings, including me.

I had the brief pleasure of meeting Capt Deakin during an APS engine course in Brisbane, some years ago. His gentle manner and modesty were at odds with his enormous knowledge and experience.

That knowledge is well documented in his “Pelican’s Perch” articles of yore, which I revisit on occasion and commend to others.

Aviation was a richer place with the presence of such a legend.

Back