What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPL training in RV?

Turbo69bird

Well Known Member
A local CFI just told me FAA recently said no training for compensation in experimental. Just checking to see what everyone knows about the situation.

The FAA has gone out of its way to step in it this time!

But if the Feds go through with it... you'll need new and appropriate paperwork for a CFI to train you in your own homebuilt for compensation. What has never been legit was to get a CFI to train you in their homebuilt for compensation.

Stay tuned, this is likely to turn into a raging furball. Especially since the FAA announced the policy five days before it is/was to go into effect.

You or the CFI need to apply for a LODA with your names on it for transition training ONLY.... As far as compensation that is confused. Have him do it at no charge....

Buy the CFI lunch (for the rest of the year :D)

You or the CFI need to apply for a LODA with your names on it for transition training ONLY.... As far as compensation that is confused. Have him do it at no charge....

Buy the CFI lunch (for the rest of the year :D)

So what my CFI tells me (I found the other thread after) is that their insurance won’t allow them to instruct w a LODA so that is useless . My 15 year old wanted to start training soon, figured I’d save some money using my own plane .
Anyone else think this is the manufacturers pressuring the FAA? (Certainly a lot more people going experimental these days) I highly doubt there’s been a bunch of student accidents in experimental Certainly not any more than certified, I see students bouncing the 172 and archers down the runway and seen a few bounce right off the runway!

Last edited:
MYbe they should focus on something else, like making ATC become pilots before being ATC so they understand what a pilot feels when Up in the air alone so they can respond accordingly. Maybe that would enhance safety more than this foolish and discriminatory rule .

Pandora’s Box

The FAA has ruled in previous enforcement actions that money doesn’t have to change hands for compensation to have occurred. The mere writing down of flight time in ones log book is considered compensation in the eyes of the FAA. So, where this ends up going will be interesting.
jimmyB
RV-6
N699JB
CFI-IA

So what my CFI tells me (I found the other thread after) is that their insurance won’t allow them to instruct w a LODA so that is useless . My 15 year old wanted to start training soon, figured I’d save some money using my own plane .

Yeah, that's the other side of the problem. If there's a claim from a "mishap" while doing flight instruction, the company insuring the plane will cover it, but will subrogate against the flight instructor. Might not be an issue if the CFI has his own insurance covering instruction. Or...it might be a deal-breaker depending on the instructor and his/her insurance (or lack thereof)...

Yeah, that's the other side of the problem. If there's a claim from a "mishap" while doing flight instruction, the company insuring the plane will cover it, but will subrogate against the flight instructor. Might not be an issue if the CFI has his own insurance covering instruction. Or...it might be a deal-breaker depending on the instructor and his/her insurance (or lack thereof)...

The easy method to solve that is to add your instructor as a named pilot to your aircraft insurance policy. I did that and it didn’t change my premium.

Bob wrote: The easy method to solve that is to add your instructor as a named pilot to your aircraft insurance policy. I did that and it didn’t change my premium.

I have made a living offering pilot services and would never operate someone else’s plane without being “named insured” and being issued a waiver of subrogation. This is standard for contract pilot service and insurance companies understand and issue this daily.

My son is getting his PPL in our 6A. I did 5 hours of dual with the CFI to get him the insurance required flight time and added him as a named pilot on our policy. The company generally will not subrogate against a named pilot on the policy. This is the best way to protect your CFI. Getting a LODA to make it legal now is very easy, but response time from the FAA is a big question mark.

Larry

Last edited:

Easily fixed by having the owner add you to the policy as an additional insured!!

Back