What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to route the pitot/aoa lines from wing to ADAHRS

Flyer2017

I'm installing an AFS panel in a 20 year old RV-9A. Lots of wiring to redo, replace, add, etc. I'm currently running the pitot and AOA tubing from the Dynon heated pitot to the ADAHRS behind the baggage bulkhead. I used the existing grommets from the old tubing to run the new tubing through the wing and into the area under the seat pan. Now they need to go to the back. There probably isn't enough room in the center tunnel for the tubing with all the other wires going to the back. I'd like to run them parallel to the left rudder cable. I'll need to run static tubing forward also for my backup G5. So, three pieces in all need to run along the pilot side of the plane.

Unfortunately, the original builder didn't put a wiring tube under the rear seat pan and baggage floor to accommodate extra wiring and doing that now would mean drilling out all those rivets, running the tube and them reinstalling the pan. Like to avoid that if possible.

Any pictures/advice on how others have accomplished this? Thanks.

I'm installing an AFS panel in a 20 year old RV-9A. Lots of wiring to redo, replace, add, etc. I'm currently running the pitot and AOA tubing from the Dynon heated pitot to the ADAHRS behind the baggage bulkhead. I used the existing grommets from the old tubing to run the new tubing through the wing and into the area under the seat pan. Now they need to go to the back. There probably isn't enough room in the center tunnel for the tubing with all the other wires going to the back. I'd like to run them parallel to the left rudder cable. I'll need to run static tubing forward also for my backup G5. So, three pieces in all need to run along the pilot side of the plane.

Unfortunately, the original builder didn't put a wiring tube under the rear seat pan and baggage floor to accommodate extra wiring and doing that now would mean drilling out all those rivets, running the tube and them reinstalling the pan. Like to avoid that if possible.

Any pictures/advice on how others have accomplished this? Thanks.

I did exactly that...ran AOA tubing from the left wing Dynon pitot through the existing conduit to the fuselage then to the SV-ADAHARS installed on the Van's mount behind the luggage bulkhead...but also had to re-route the pitot line back there too, and then the network cabling from the ADAHRS up to the SV-network hub and the 5400. I used the center tunnel for all three and was able (barely) to get them through the grommets in the cross members and the spar. I still have a touch of PTSD regarding the project.

I'm having a touch of PTSD just contemplating it! Put a second hole and grommet in the tunnel. That will hold all that stuff-barely. Just need a way to route the 3 RG-400 cables, ELT telephone cable and ELT 3 wire cable to front and I'll be all set. Considering routing them down right side of plane through the bulkheads above the rudder cable.

Back