What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV4 with CFO for Transition

TheFrisco

I live in CA but am willing to travel for a 5hr transition training in an RV4 with a CFI.

Is that you? Can you please text me @ 408-805-5450!

Thanks from the "Soon To Be" RV Pilot 🙂

Other models may qualify

Most insurers will allow transition training in any of the RV tailwheel models. Finding a side by side model and CFI might be easier. May be worth checking with your insurance agent.

Most insurers will allow transition training in any of the RV tailwheel models. Finding a side by side model and CFI might be easier. May be worth checking with your insurance agent.

My insurance company, AIG, was pretty specific about being "same make and model".

When I was searching for an RV-8 last year, Gallagher requested 5 hours in same make and model. I found it hard to find a CFI with a tandem RV so I asked my agent for advice. Gallagher came back with an approval to use any tailwheel RV. It’s hard (maybe impossible) to find a 4 or 8 with rear brakes for dual, so Gallagher allowed for that. Wouldn’t hurt to call and check.

Edit: this was with Global. My agent did say that not all companies share this approach, so YMMV.

Last edited:
When I was searching for an RV-8 last year, Gallagher requested 5 hours in same make and model. I found it hard to find a CFI with a tandem RV so I asked my agent for advice. Gallagher came back with an approval to use any tailwheel RV. It’s hard (maybe impossible) to find a 4 or 8 with rear brakes for dual, so Gallagher allowed for that. Wouldn’t hurt to call and check.

Edit: this was with Global. My agent did say that not all companies share this approach, so YMMV.

Yeah, my broker is Gallagher too. Leah got the best rate with AIG. This was for a -9A...they only wanted 2 hours. They did specify "make and model" for me, but my CFI's experience was in a -6A, and AIG was ok with that for him to both sign me off in my -9A and to be a named insured on the policy. I guess they figured his 4400 hours counted for something.

Bruce Bohannon has a dual control RV8 that he does transition training in near Houston. Blue Sky Aero in Illinois does tailwheel training and has (or had) an RV4 with full dual controls for RV transition training.

Back