Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Smile Jumping In

Hello, all!

I just ordered my RV-14 empennage kit this morning, and I couldn't be more excited!

A little backstory: I started an RV-10 back in 2009, but some major life changes forced me to sell the un-completed empennage several months later. At the same time, I walked away from flying, thinking I'd never be back. Well, after 11 years of trying to convince myself that I actually didn't miss piloting an airplane, in February of this year, I finally gave in: I transitioned from the Piper Cherokees in which I'd done all my training to a Cirrus SR20 ... and fell in love all over again. I've flown almost 70 hours since then, and I'm about to take my instrument checkride, which will fulfill my #1 New Year's resolution for 2020.

Naturally, I have spent much of the year browsing the online classifieds, window shopping for the airplane of my dreams. While a turbine-powered beast like the Legend would probably be my aircraft of choice if there were no other considerations (like money, mission, insurance requirements), I'm more realistic than I was a few years ago, and all of my research and browsing led me back to Van's once again.

I initially considered the RV-8, for its fighter-like appeal and amazing performance, but a side-by-side two-seater really fits my typical mission profile much better than a tandem arrangement. Also, I intend to equip my aircraft with all the latest avionics, making a larger panel almost a necessity. That led me to the RV-14, which I think checks almost every box for me. I've found some absolutely stunning examples on the net (many of them here on this site!), and this morning, I made my decision to move forward!

Back in 2009, I attended the RV-10 empennage class at Alexander Technical Center in Newnan, GA, and I got pretty comfortable with the techniques needed to get started. However, I haven't picked up a rivet gun or deburring tool in 11 years, so I'm a bit anxious about getting started on the -14!

Also, I sold all my tools years ago, so I'm shopping for those now. I'll also have to reorganize my garage, which is where I'll be building for the time being. I'll eventually have a web site for the build, and I'll add that to my signature when I get it set up.

Looking forward to talking with you all over the next couple of years!

Best,
-- Chris

RV-14 build underway
∙ N415EJ reserved
∙ empennage started April 2021
∙ currently working on: Section 6 - Vertical Stabilizer

build log: kitsune.aero
Old 11-30-2020, 01:32 PM

Default RV14 kit purchase

Congrats Chris. I too after building two 6ís and a 6A have ordered my 14 kit today.
RV6A N698CH sold
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up

That's awesome -- I used to live in Kingsport, btw!

RV-14 build underway
∙ N415EJ reserved

Old 12-03-2020, 02:50 PM

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your decision to start the 14. You are going to love the kit, itís very well put together. Iím just down the road from you in Knoxville. Iím most of the way through my 14A empennage. Iíll PM you my contact info.

Dan
Dues 2021 ✅
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Ordered mine on 11/22/2020 hoping to see the shipment notification. Just doing practice kit I ordered right now. Probably going to drill out all the rivets when I am done and do it again. better to screw it up than my plane.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:42 AM

I ordered the sign to practice on, since I am hoping the riveting skills I acquired 11 years ago in building most of the RV-10 empennage will come back relatively quickly. If I screw it up, well, I guess that skill will have come back too.

RV-14 build underway
∙ N415EJ reserved

Old 12-05-2020, 03:51 PM

I already did the sign. Few mistakes there and some practice removing rivets. I am now doing the RV Training project. Trying to figure out now how to rivet the last AN426AD3-3 rivet on the ribs that the directions point out. Neither the squeezer or a bucking bar fits in there. Don't know how you are supposed to do that one?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
I already did the sign. Few mistakes there and some practice removing rivets. I am now doing the RV Training project. Trying to figure out now how to rivet the last AN426AD3-3 rivet on the ribs that the directions point out. Neither the squeezer or a bucking bar fits in there. Don't know how you are supposed to do that one?
You can use almost anything steel as a bucking bar. I have some polished steel combination wrenches. One of them was the right thickness to use as a bucking bar for that one rivet. The first attempt was ugly, but the second looked good.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:51 AM

Default Mission

Kudos to you, Chris, for thinking through that important concept of aircraft mission.

I loved our -8A but after 1700 hours in it and our new home state's cold winters, the wife asked me to build an RV-14A. Talk about a keeper airplane! It meets all of our mission requirements and she now has her own heat control and her own flight display.

I plan to die of old age owning this airplane.
Zenith 801 sold
RV-14A 140134, N465MM - 845 hours and climbing
Dues paid every year
Old 12-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Talking Early Christmas present!

Santa dropped off an early Christmas gift today!

RV-14 build underway
∙ N415EJ reserved