What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 dust award

I think you're # 2

I just purchased my first rv-4. It has been sitting in a hangar for ten years. The gentelman I purchased it from flew it here was going to repaint it and fix a few things on it. Unfortunately he had a botched eye surgery shortly after he started working on it and stopped flying. He was an ATP guy flying for delta so he lost his job at the same time. Anyway if I can figure out how to post pictures here I am submitting this plane for the all time most dust collected award. My plans are to go over the entire airframe with a fine tooth comb, rebuild engine, repaint, update panel and fix a few things that need prettying up. I am sure I will have many more questions so I am thanking everyone in advance. Let me know what you guys think and if I have won the award!
At home in it's new hangar, luckily all I had to do was push it 100 yards!!

Justin, I saw one in Fort Stockton, TX that was about twice as dusty. As I understood it, Larry Vetterman built the -4. It was a very nice airplane, just DUSTY. A little background, I had a work assignment in Fort Stockton and commuted from 8T6 to KFST for 18 months. I was shown the plane shortly after I first arrived, January, 2005. The airport manager told me it had been built by Larry. I cannot recall if he still owned it at the time. My assignment ended June, 2006; and I believe it was still there when I left.

Perhaps Larry could/would expand on the details. But, for certain, it was West Texas Dusty and made yours look relatively clean.

Cheers & best,

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That plane sounds like it would be a great barn find. I have really enjoyed it so far. I have always enjoyed renovating/rebuilding things. It is a lot of work but if you can start with the right plane and end up with a good product that is all that matters.

Back