What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Advice and Help on upgrading to CS from FP

BCP Boys

Well Known Member
This weeks marks the 5th anniversary of owning my RV-7. I love it more today than I did when I first bought it. I've done a few minor upgrades and 1 major upgrade (new panel). The only thing left in my mine to "upgrade" is the wood prop thats been on it since new. It's an absolutely beautiful prop cut by Clark Lydick from Performance Propellers before he sold the company to Frank. I recommend this prop to anyone that is even thinking about a Fixed Pitch prop. It's smooth, lasted over 10 years on this RV (1100 hrs) with very minimal maintenance, looks beautiful and is one fast as heck prop. . . sorry I digress. :p
Well now I think my mission is changing a bit. Since I'm very comfortable with my plane I would like to go in to some shorter grass fields but I'm hesitant about getting out of some of them with tall trees, especially in the summer time.

So I've decided to bite the bullet, reach deeeeeep in the checking account and move to a Constant Speed Prop. With that said here are my questions:
(BTW, I've read Axel's post on ensuring a CS will work with my engine/case combo.)

- What CS Prop did you pick and why?
- Are you happy with your choice and the performance of the prop?
- If you had to do it over it again, would you choose a different manufacture, Prop size, Prop type, etc?
- Any additional feedback that I should watch out for? Both the prop and the governor?

- Last but not least - Since I am not the builder I'm most likely going to get an A&P to do this. I've read some conflicting articles/posts about the plane going back to Phase 1. Does the plane need to be re-inspected by a DAR? What the correct process?

Thank you for your help and feedback.

CS to FP

Just a few of thoughts from a metal FP user who has studied on this way too much over the past few years:

You may want to consider a different pitch or 3 blade propeller to improve takeoff and climb performance.

Dig around in the propeller archives - there's a lot of good info in there - pro and con.

The kick in the pants and braking provided by the CS prop are realllly nice, but rarely necessary.

Check out Rob 'Smokyray' Ray's posts re: his experiences with heavy/light RVs and different propellers. Lots of good insight without bias. He is one of my go to sources when I'm about to do something I'm unsure of.

Beware of confirmation bias, rare is a guy that drops $10-15k on something and then says it isn't wonderful.

Last, I'm curiously waiting for Axel's updated thoughts on his recent conversion.

Since I'm very comfortable with my plane I would like to go in to some shorter grass fields but I'm hesitant about getting out of some of them with tall trees, especially in the summer time.
So I've decided to bite the bullet, reach deeeeeep in the checking account and move to a Constant Speed Prop. With that said here are my questions:
(BTW, I've read Axel's post on ensuring a CS will work with my engine/case combo.)
- Last but not least - Since I am not the builder I'm most likely going to get an A&P to do this. I've read some conflicting articles/posts about the plane going back to Phase 1. Does the plane need to be re-inspected by a DAR? What the correct process?
Thank you for your help and feedback.

Of course the decision in totally your's and you may have other reasons for going to CS. But just as a reference point, my -6 has been operating comfortably out of my 1500' strip here in Texas with a 3-BLD Catto for many years. CS props are nice but not really necessary for 2-seat RVs.

If you change, you will need to place the aircraft back into phase I for a minimum of 5 hrs. You shouldn't need a DAR inspection but you will need to submit a new 8130-6, airworthiness application to the nearest FSDO per your operating limitations and of course perform a new weight & balance.

Last edited:
Last but not least - Since I am not the builder I'm most likely going to get an A&P to do this. I've read some conflicting articles/posts about the plane going back to Phase 1. Does the plane need to be re-inspected by a DAR? What the correct process?

I'm happy with my 3 blade Catto and my engine has a solid crank (O360-A4M) so can't comment on CS choice.

Check your operating limitations for clues on returning to P1 but I believe you'll need 5 hours and no DAR inspection.

EDIT: Mel's Kung Fu is faster than mine. And more accurate.

Last edited:
When I bought my RV-9A project, it came with a FP prop. Having flown both FP and CS, it was a no brainer decision for me to swap out the FP for a CS MT on my -9A. Another benefit with my MT is there is no rpm limitation and it has a 2000 hour TBO. I got my best pricing from Tiffin Aire Inc. in Ohio and the cost was well under Van's pricing. Took about 3 months though for delivery so plan accordingly if you decide on the conversion.

Tonini Italian prop for RV

My second RV7 My second GT Tonini CS prop

Performance and lightness.

http://www.gt-propellers.com/

PHOTO-2019-01-12-17-01-32-3.jpg

Work on RV-4?

I'd be interesting in buying your prop if it would work on an RV-4.

I've only flown my RV-3s with Clark Lydic props, so I guess I'm biased.

Finn

I would like to go in to some shorter grass fields but I'm hesitant about getting out of some of them with tall trees, especially in the summer time.

So I've decided to bite the bullet, reach deeeeeep in the checking account and move to a Constant Speed Prop.

To Mel's point, if your *only* criteria for selecting a new prop is to improve on your ability to get out of short grass fields you can accomplish that with buying a climb prop and save a ton of money. I have a Harztell CS 180 RV-8 and my buddy flies 180 RV-6 with a climb prop. I can't beat him on the climb out.

Climb prop

Just curious, How much cruse speed did your buddy with the 6 loose with his climb prop?

Back