What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-320-D2A fuel injection fuel burn?

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
I found lycoming charts showing fuel burn for this engine at different RPM, but I will be flying this RV9A back 2200 miles to home and don't know what the rpm is likely to be at WOT at 9500 ft (Vans suggested prop for this installed). Can anyone provide approximate fuel burn at WOT at 9500 with the Vans standard prop (70CM7S9-0 (79))
Thanks.

Wide open at 9500? and you will probably be turning 2700+ RPM. On my RV4 with my Sensenich prop (pitched 85?) I will turn about 2880 RPM - which I don?t do. At a comfortable 2500 RPM, you will probably be getting around 60% power at 9500? and should burn in neighborhood of 7.5 gph. Play with the link below to see what percent of power you will be at, and then look up a Lycoming chart for fuel burn v.s. horse power/ % power. Use the ?Select Engine? box to set your engine particulars.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aircraftpower/id718023187

2400 RPM, leaned, at 8000'+, my average on an O-320 D2J (carb'd) is 7.5-8 GPH from startup to shutdown on 3-4 hour legs. I'd plan on 2.5 hour legs until you have a good feel for your aircraft's fuel consumption. That should give you a reasonable reserve if something isn't right.

Thanks everyone for the response! I would be amazed that the engine at WOT would turn 2700 at 9500 feet! I would not expect that on a fixed pitch prop.

Fuel Flow

If you lean at altitude and plan for 10 gph burn you?ll never be short on fuel.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

If you are LOP at that height I would say the actual burn is about 6.6-6.7 GPH. Plan on 7 say. To allow for takeoff and climb for rough planning work on 7.5 gallons in the first half hour, then 7 each hour after.

YMMV :D

75% power at 8000 LOP is around 8 GPH. ROP around 9.5 GPH Lyc charts for % pwr are based upon ROP.

Mine's a -9A with an IO-360-D1A, and cross country I'm usually between 2650 and 2700 rpm. Prop is a FP Catto 2-blade, 70x70, which can can safely spin to 3200 rpm.

At a DA of 9500' I can typically exceed 2700 rpm. LOP fuel burn in this range is 7.5 to 8.0 gph, yielding a TAS in the range of 153-156 kts.

Fuel burn

Best thing to do is plan for a 3 hr flt on the first leg. Start with the left tank for the first hr and right tank for the next 2 hrs. When you fuel up you?ll know how much fuel it took you to get to altitude and cruise for the first hr. You will then know how much fuel you used to cruise and descend the next 2 hrs. Now you know exactly how much your engine burns

Back