What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boiled Linseed Oil

UNCRV

Does anyone still use linseed oil on the inside of tubes? I have a powder coated control tube for the rv-12 that I was thinking of pouring linseed oil in instead of primer if for no other reason than to avoid having to try to clean out any oil in the tube so the primer will stick. It’s a pretty small tube.

Old school cool

Still works fine as far as I know and many old school guys do it on tube and fabric rebuilds (I have), but so will LPS 3 or corrosion-X type sprays. You could also just swab the tube with a gun barrel cleaning wipe and alcohol or acetone then run the primer through it.

Also consider Dinitrol AV-8 or equivalent. A proven, wicked good product and does stop seeping. The color allows you to see coverage. I sloshed the inside of my tubes with it and has used it for a few decades. The aforementioned are very good products as well.

Drift question. Is BLO still just that? The legacy BLO products like Tru Oil (great product for it's intended use) are mostly polymers now per those that claim to know.

Last edited:
These are the two small rods. The aluminum ones I was going to try to slosh primer in but the steel one is so small I don’t know that I can even get a rag stuffed in it to try to clean any residual oil out. Probably worrying too much about a minor detail.

The gun barrel cleaning wipe is a good idea. I’ll try that tomorrow.

Attachments

• CE07F713-DE7E-4B47-8143-7293C4618078.png
    CE07F713-DE7E-4B47-8143-7293C4618078.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 96
  • E307F051-FE0D-467C-B51F-0C63E156AA45.png
    E307F051-FE0D-467C-B51F-0C63E156AA45.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 74
If you do use BLO, treat anything cloth or paper it gets on as extremely hazardous until it dries completely. I know of a couple people that have had major fires due to BLO coated rags combusting long after use.

Does anyone still use linseed oil on the inside of tubes? I have a powder coated control tube for the rv-12 that I was thinking of pouring linseed oil in instead of primer if for no other reason than to avoid having to try to clean out any oil in the tube so the primer will stick. It’s a pretty small tube.

I really like Boeshield T-9. I've used it for many years. It was developed for Boeing for this type of application. As someone noted, it is flammable - as is linseed oil, so use it with appropriate precautions.

https://boeshield.com/about/

If you do use BLO, treat anything cloth or paper it gets on as extremely hazardous until it dries completely. I know of a couple people that have had major fires due to BLO coated rags combusting long after use.

+1! It's part of the build for SeaReys, and is a sticky, messy job. https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2010/08/oiling-it-old-school.html

Also, there was a trend for a while to heat it up before applying. DON'T!!! As CV said, BLO is extremely hazardous, and will easily catch fire when warm. Lots if disposable gloves, old clothes you're probably going to throw away afterward, and a hazmat trash can until you can properly dispose of the used materials. I took mine to the local hazardous waste facility the next day, told them I was being paranoid and they said Nope, you done good. Bring it all over there right now and get it out of your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq6VW-c2Ts&ab_channel=ABCNews

Last edited:
Back