What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-initial powerup tests?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Almost done with the rewiring, trying to give the best odds of keeping the smoke in before the initial power-up. I'm using the Aircraft Components 2075B power buss, and I can do the initial powerup without the Skyview transponder/EMS/ADSB/D1000 hooked up, so that keeps the bigger ticket items out of the way.

Before I put power to the system, I'm thinking at the very least I could do a continuity check from where the wire for a system would attach to the power buss all the way out to where the line-in would hook to the system (i.e., from the point the Nav light circuit would attach to the power buss to the switch, then to the point it would split to attach to the wingtip wires.), and also check the continuity of the ground circuit of the system.

That would be one test, can anyone think of any other tests I could do before applying power?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Measure resistance between main power bus and ground. It should be greater than one ohm.
Make sure voltage source is not too high (14.5 volts or less for 12 volt system).
Make sure battery polarity is correct. Reversed polarity can damage expensive equipment.

Back