Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2021, 10:49 AM

Default I've Decided To Go With QB Wings....and Now A Question

For those of you who got the QB wings.........

Will I have any problem in adding an Auto Pilot and heated Pitot Tube with the QB wings? Do they arrive in a state where I can still add these items (and others things I haven't considered yet?) and do the wiring without any issues?

Do they leave some of the skins off for this purpose?
Old 10-12-2021, 10:51 AM

You won't have any trouble, still lots of work to do on the QB wings, but definitely a time saving purchase!

The bottom close-out skin is left off as well as plenty of access to do the work you need.

Have fun
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
You won't have any trouble, still lots of work to do on the QB wings, but definitely a time saving purchase!

The bottom close-out skin is left off as well as plenty of access to do the work you need.

Have fun
Thats a relief....Thanks
Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM

Installing wires/servos/pitot&AOA lines is pretty easy as others have mentioned.

The hardest part for me was removing the fuel tanks to install senders and do leak testing on them. EVEN WITH the bottom skins off AND with the wings in a stand, getting to all the AN-3 bolts that hold the fuel tanks on was not fun. I had to use a number of different socket/handle/adapter combinations. It didn't help that the bolts as delivered were over-torqued. I ended up replacing all of them with new when I re-installed the tanks.

Removing the tanks with wings mounted and skins on has to be very hard to do for sure, just because of the awkward reaches needed to get to those bolts.

If I were doing again I might even consider adding another access plate behind the fuel tanks to help with access to the bolts (just a thought, perhaps others' experiences different from mine).

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 10-12-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Installing wires/servos/pitot&AOA lines is pretty easy as others have mentioned.

The hardest part for me was removing the fuel tanks to install senders and do leak testing on them. EVEN WITH the bottom skins off AND with the wings in a stand, getting to all the AN-3 bolts that hold the fuel tanks on was not fun. I had to use a number of different socket/handle/adapter combinations. It didn't help that the bolts as delivered were over-torqued. I ended up replacing all of them with new when I re-installed the tanks.

Removing the tanks with wings mounted and skins on has to be very hard to do for sure, just because of the awkward reaches needed to get to those bolts.

If I were doing again I might even consider adding another access plate behind the fuel tanks to help with access to the bolts (just a thought, perhaps others' experiences different from mine).
Why was it necessary to remove the fuel tanks. I did all the work including installation of the senders & leak testing with the tanks installed.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid
Old 10-12-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Why was it necessary to remove the fuel tanks. I did all the work including installation of the senders & leak testing with the tanks installed.
I couldn't figure a way to test the back parts of the tanks without removing them. Unable to either visualize or put bubble solution on those parts. I wanted to identify and find any leaks before mounting wings.

Also - I wanted to be able to flip tanks back and forth to be sure the sender arms didn't bind up. Easier to flip the tank by itself than the entire wing.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Tank removal

I had mine on and off a few times. 1/4" drive with a wobble extension. No problem. Torque is a different story.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.