What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A - Horizontal Induction IO-360 with scoop cowl

Hi all,

So I'm having to recoinsider my engine choice due exchange rate (AUS -US $)and availability.

The result, I have a 'scoop' lower cowl but am leaning towards a horizontal induction FI engine (IO-360), rather than the planned vertical FI (IO-375). Shipping a new 'clean' lower cowl from the US to AUS would be painful.

Can I use the scoop cowl anyway? Issues, options, advice?

Also, I like to stick to plan if possible. Wife is right. I spend too much time modifying everything.

Thanks,

Dan

Yeah, I'm going to need more info than that... 1st time builder (noob). Could you please elaborate?

Thanks, Dan

Engine

Yes, I owned a RV-7 done exactly that way. Used a Bowers air filter and had a knob on the panel to open it up for ram air. It was a James cowl though.

Attachments

• 618343C5-5C1A-46DE-AAF8-AEEFD6A786BC.jpg
    618343C5-5C1A-46DE-AAF8-AEEFD6A786BC.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 9547FCA2-4C66-4244-B854-BA4743C89589.jpg
    9547FCA2-4C66-4244-B854-BA4743C89589.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I was in the same boat. I cut the scoop off and reshaped the cowl to the smooth version. Well, my own smooth version. Mine turned out ok but I wouldn't recommend it! Many hours of sanding, shaping, and head scratching! Just leave it on and plug it or put a camera in it! It looks great and I have always liked the looks of the scoop anyway!.....Obsessions like this is why some people take 10 yrs or more to build an airplane.

I suggest you talk to the local ‘fibreglass guru’, every airport has one. He could map out the process to reshape your lower cowl, which I would think, be hugely cheaper & faster than getting a new one shipped to you...

Choices:
  • Cut off the scoop and glass in the hole, use the Van snorkel intake
  • Get the forward facing Vans cowl and use their snorkel kit
  • Switch to a James Cowl with the James MK3 Filtered Ram Air kit
I'm sure you could find another builder that would purchase your existing cowl if not fitted yet to recoup some of the costs.

Back