What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cleaning the canopy

A5555

Well Known Member
I use Novus cleaner for the canopy because it's the best and I like to let it soak for several minutes. however, I didn't like the fact that it would flow forward and try to seep into the seam between my canopy and fiberglass so I couldn't let it soak for as long as I wished before wiping. a couple of years ago I applied vinyl tape to the canopy edge and now nothing gets into that seam to cause a potential disbond issue. I am satisfied with the tape.

note: the large piece of tape over the hinge line keeps rain out.

IMG_20201109_111940(1).jpg

Last edited:
The Novus system is good stuff. I use it on plastics that have swirling or oxidation, or micro-scratches, usually using a buffer (I favor my trusty old Porter-Cable 7424XP). If it's just dirty, I use Plexus because it's quick and simple, and does a great job. So far, my canopy is in really good shape and I haven't had to get out the Novus chemicals yet.

Great idea Steve! Is that Striping Tape? It appears to be very narrow. Where did you get it?

it's just cheap 1/4 inch vinyl tape. I think I ordered it on Amazon. it's the same stuff as the large piece of tape that is over the hinge line. I find that I get a much better and easier cleaning if I let the cleaner soak for a few minutes. it's a detail but if I can ease the work then I try and I clean the canopy a lot so every little bit helps. what really "bugs" me is to take off and then see a place I missed.

Last edited:
Back