What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle help please

davro14

Hi
I am getting towards finishing the metal work involved in making my RV7 baffles. In looking to remove any non useful material, I am wondering whether the material, that is part of the horizontal(ish) baffle material of Cyl 1 and 2, behind the flywheel can be removed. This is the material that is the flywheel side of the front vertical baffles. These “overshoots” seem to be serving no useful purpose or am I missing something? It seems they will be in the low pressure air volume. Your experience/thoughts/knowledge would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I am not able to attach a picture which explains the area referred to better.
Regards
David Robbins RV7 Photo now added I Hope

www.flickr.com/photos/155370574@N02/

Last edited:
extra material

Not 100% sure exactly what you are talking about, but yes, there is some extra material. If you need to remove it to fit things, then I would proceed, but if not, just leave it and you can always remove it later if you feel it's a good idea.

There are a lot of threads on VAF talking about good/bad baffles. The key thing to keep in mind is that you want all the air that comes into the intakes to do useful work cooling the engine.

Just an FYI - I installed and removed the baffles dozens of times, and almost every time I thought it would be the last. Now I can do it in my sleep, and takes about 5 mins. The only part I don't like to remove is the front right, since it has the oil line for the prop.

This is an O-320 but perhaps a picture will help:

3f721ef73d5133c0128e850c4022254d3490_1101001521a.jpg

Back