What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming oil screen location please.

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I have 2 safety wired bolts on my sump. One is flatish and on the side of the sump, on the firewall side. The other is a more coarse and taller bolt head that is on the bottom of the sump in the front corner near the prop.

Can someone tell me which is the removable screen? Anything else I should know before I pull the screen?

THANKS! Andy

My screen is on the firewall side of the sump.

Advice?
Drain the oil before you pull the screen.
Have a new crush washer available for reassembly.
Install the safety wire through the sump safety wire hole and pull it to the side before you reinstall the screen.

Screen

The screen on most horizontal screen parallel valve engines is on the lower right corner of the sump. It uses a crush gasket that should be replaced. The portion you will remove is a special Lycoming fitting. On the inside is a bore to hold the aft end of the screen. The screen is a separate piece. Be very careful on reinstallation to keep the screen lined up with the bore inside the sump and the bore in the screen. The fitting is a straight thread and you should be able to screw the fitting all the way into the sump with your fingers. If there is any resistance you probably do not have the screen aligned at the forward end.
Very early 320's have a vertical screen in the bottom center of the sump, a totally different setup.

Got the correct bolt. I'll post a pic later. Can't believe how difficult it was trying to find a picture on the web!

Last edited:
As described above.... still worth a 1000 words. :)

Lycoming-IO-360-Oil-Screen.jpg

And where it is usually located -

Web_Img_4569.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That is exactly what mine looked like (from the outside anyway :) ). The hardest part was safety wiring it afterword.

Repeating what I read here, " Don't worry about the small stuff on the screen, unless you can read the serial number on the pieces" or something like that. :D

I know they're cheap but if anyone needs some crush washers, drop me a line.

I ordered a bunch back when I thought I'd have a plan until I died.

No charge.

(I really miss my plane; I do NOT miss safety wiring that bolt.)

Very helpful discussion. Glad I asked the question.

How did you tighten the bolt? I have heard finger tight then 135 degrees.

Mike, I didn't have a torque spec but I used the feels-about-right method. It DID snug right up against the sump with very little effort. Then I torqued it until it felt right. In the end, it ended up about 2-3 degrees past where is was when I loosened it, judging by the safety wire hole in the bolt.

I know they're cheap but if anyone needs some crush washers, drop me a line.

I will gladly liberate a few of these from you. PM coming. Thanks!!

Last edited:
One last question I guess. I had what looked to be some carbon on the inside of the screen (inside the tube that is). Is that the direction of oil flow across the screen? Nothing on the outside.

Don't forget..

That's not the only screen on a Lycoming! If you have an engine without a screw-on filter you will have another screen to clean up top near the mags. The lower one is the sump screen. It is filtering the big stuff. The one up top is the one doing the "fine" work.

Back