What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diode

longline

Well Known Member
B&C offers an essential buss diode, P/N D-25. The installation drawing appears to show power being applied to TWO input terminals. I am trying to determine if this diode is appropriate for combining power from two different sources, or busses, to ensure that my target relay is controlled regardless of which buss has power applied.
I have hope that the above description makes sense.

It's actually a bridge rectifier, 4 diodes in one package. Only two are used. Yes, you can use it to combine and isolate two power sources. B&c also sells heat sinks, choose the size you need.

B&C offers an essential buss diode, P/N D-25. The installation drawing appears to show power being applied to TWO input terminals. I am trying to determine if this diode is appropriate for combining power from two different sources, or busses, to ensure that my target relay is controlled regardless of which buss has power applied.
I have hope that the above description makes sense.

Only problem is the approx 1 volt drop you get through the bridge. I finally replaced mine with a diode that has a .2 volt drop ( sitting in my car typing this, forgot the name of the diode, someone will respond with the name)

Only problem is the approx 1 volt drop you get through the bridge. I finally replaced mine with a diode that has a .2 volt drop ( sitting in my car typing this, forgot the name of the diode, someone will respond with the name)

Schottky is the name you are looking for.

Schottky

so where do I find a bridge like the B & C diode bridge, except using the Schottky diode? Realistically, even a 1 volt drop is not of consequence when using the B & C diode bridge to control a small relay, but it does not hurt to seek an elegant solution.

I purchased DSS2X121-0045B-ND from Digikey, though have yet to implement my backup battery plan for the radios. Very low voltage drop, has two independent Schottky diodes in a package.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DSS2x121-0045B.pdf

IXYS-DSEI2X121-02A.jpg

Last edited:
Perehelion Design

About $60 for the Schottky diode and heat sink at pereheliondesign.com

Don

Last edited:
I purchased DSS2X121-0045B-ND from Digikey, though have yet to implement my backup battery plan for the radios. Very low voltage drop, has two independent Schottky diodes in a package.

At $20 for a 120Amp rating that looks like a good deal and should be easy enough to replace the 'traditional' silicon bridge rectifiers. When I looked a while ago a lot of the schottky devices did not have electrically isolated heat sinks... this one does.

Thanks for the info - I'm going to order one and replace my endurance bus silicon diode.

One issue to be concerned with is the reverse leakage of these high powered diodes. This can be several mA. If used to isolate batteries, this can lead to parasitic discharge.

For example, a small 1 AH backup battery could be discharged in 100 hours (4 days) with 10 mA leakage. Just make sure to consider this when designing the system. Normal silicon diodes have much lower leakage.

V

One issue to be concerned with is the reverse leakage of these high powered diodes. This can be several mA. If used to isolate batteries, this can lead to parasitic discharge.

For example, a small 1 AH backup battery could be discharged in 100 hours (4 days) with 10 mA leakage. Just make sure to consider this when designing the system. Normal silicon diodes have much lower leakage.

V

Tell your wife that's why u have to fly several times per week, safety issues.

Back